Monday, May 19, 2008

S.M.H. Half Marathon



I had a great run on Sunday, not fast of course, but I enjoyed every single minute of it, especially getting to hurtle down Hunter Street soon after the start and, for the first time I had no struggle with running up the hills...just kept on hopping along in what unexpectedly turned out to be a brilliant morning for running.

This would be the only race I can remember in a long while where I felt totally relaxed & strong & confident that I was going to run a good race and enjoy it at the same time....and so I did & not at all like an 'ancient'!

I simply loved the whole event & felt full of energy & enthusiasm & really ready to draw on anything & everything (& everybody if necessary!) to finish knowing I had run my best.

In fact, I felt so good during the first 10km that, when I found I was running a faster pace than planned, I slowed down for fear of a nightmare in the second loop. Looking back now, I think I could have kept up the pace & finished faster than I did....who knows? I'll just have to wait & see 'how the wind blows' at the Gold Coast. It's a hard call to make knowing whether to run faster when you feel you can or hold back for later in the race. I think I'll 'let it all out' at the GC!

Gun Time 2:33:25; Net Time 2:32:28. About 30 seconds better than last year's SMH Half & 5 minutes faster than the Central Coast Half in December.

A final certainty.....I must have had a goof coach somewhere in my lifetime!

9 comments:

  1. Another terrific result LL. It so good to hear you that you enjoyed the run so much. It's those experiences that bolt out the memories of horror runs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a time to be wise and back off a bit, and there's a time to be brave and go for it. Sometimes you just know that you've been wise often enough and now it's time to be brave. Glorious things happen...

    Fantastic run on Sunday. All that training paid off in spades! :-)

    Gnome

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome LL - well done! Can't wait to see you at the GC - all bodes well! You are a star.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you didn't feel like an 'ancient' LL because you sure didn't look like one! I thought you must've been having a good run because you looked so comfy, and strong and happy when we spotted you.

    You've gotta love days like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work LL - you looked fantastic when BB and I saw you...I didn't think we were going to be able to catch up a one point!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My spy told me there were no police cars in sight (except for the radar trap where you got booked for speeding on Hunter St)... you were so far away from the pointy end.

    You can run faster, and feel good at GC.

    Send me your new coach's phone number - she sounds goof.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to hear you had a good race at SMH! Look forward to seeing on you at the GC.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's terrific LL. I reckon if you can continue enjoying and running strong like that you could take this show well into your 80s with great results.

    Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations LL on a wonderful race. You never cease to be a wonderful inspiration.

    And thanks for your kind comment. I am sure you are right.

    ReplyDelete