Friday, October 15, 2010

After Blackmores Marathon

Camouflage Text Generator at TextSpace.net
Well.... my recovery after Blackmores Sydney Marathon hasn't been going well at all!

For some months before the marathon I had a painful right knee which became just about unbearably painful during the run and since then, even more so.  No let up at all. Even walking around the house is painful.

Now, I thought arthritis was only for old people!  To my dismay however, an x-ray showed a slight version of it in my right knee but, if this pain is the result of slight arthritis, I'd hate to be a victim of the serious stuff!  The result is that I haven't had what could be called a decent run over the last four weeks.  I've tried a very easy jog three times and fast walking once but could go no further than 5km each time before I've had to quit.

Having  tried physiotherapy (R.I.C.E.) with no improvement, the next stop from my GP, is to see an orthopaedic doc who might be able to shed more light on what, if anything, is happening.  That's on Monday and will report here with the results.

This is more than just a damned nuisance.......it's soul destroying!  The likelihood of training for anything in the months ahead will depend on whether something can be done to relieve the pain in my knee.

So, there it is; very disappointing because I'd hoped to do some serious training in preparation for a couple of exciting races later this year and also in the first half of 2011.

I believe there's no cure for arthritis.....ah, woe is me.....for now!

4 comments:

  1. Norma, tomorrow the sun will come up, and you and I will have the opportunity to face our challenges again. Heaven knows you've stared down enough in your lifetime - this is just one more. Roll with the punches and let's see what the new day(s) bring.

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Norma, I am so sorry. I do hope the doc's appointment on Monday will give some better news. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Big hugs. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it goes well. There are lots of 'cures' out there for arthritis - I like the Biomagnetic Underlay one at the moment - just because the guy wrecked his back by crashing his motor bike. You'll find a solution I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a lot of this going around! I'm not sure that you can't find a cure for it. "Google" and keep googling till you do ;)

    ReplyDelete