Monday, May 22, 2006

Day 10 - SMH Half Marathon, Sunday, May 21st

The Nightmare!

Even though I'd asked for a wake up call at 6:00am, Sunday, I found myself looking at the clock just about every hour, on the hour all through the night, but then falling into a deep sleep at about 5:00am. From there followed the worst of all possible nightmares; since it's funnier than the event itself, I might not bother with an account of the half marathon.... just the nightmare that preceded it! It happened like this:

" It seemed I was late leaving the hotel & Ewen had gone on ahead so as not to be late for the race. The rest of the nightmare was me desperately & in vain trying to find the start of the half marathon!! I was frantically running around streets (this was happening in what I knew to be Canberra!), asking where the start to the half marathon was; everyone I approached shook their heads : they'd never heard of it! There were people lined up for just about every possible distance but none for a half marathon. I even ran through houses which somehow were part of the course (!), knocking over furniture as I went; running & stopping right on the edge of cliffs just before falling over, climbing to the top of mountains, still searching for half marathon runners, until eventually I found myself somewhere crawling on grass unable to move except by clawing & grabbing at the grass with my hands to pull myself forwards, & even then, not moving forward, not even an inch! How real these things are at the time! Lost again & terribly distressed over a first DNF...and a DNS!!

I woke with a powerful feeling that it was a reality & so upset that I had to sit up in bed & try to clear it all away & out of my head; even then I couldn't shake off the awful feelings it had left, so I got up, made a cup of tea, a hot muffin with jam, climbed back into bed & sat there eating breakfast until I felt normality - whatever that is! - slowly return & until the wake up call came through at 6:am! Not the best night before a race & what if that dream somehow sabotaged the run!!

I found out much later - it didn't!!


The Run!

With some of the nightmare aftermath still in mind, Ewen & I walked from Phillip Street to the start - met up with more than a few Cool Runners; I'm hopless on remembering names so I won't try to mention them, but wonderful warm welcomes & hugs from all...thank you!

Took about 2 minutes to cross the start mat, but that was OK; I was no longer on a mission or in the middle of a nightmare! I felt strong during all of the first 10km (1:08) loop (at 5km 32:35); the hills, especially Hunter Street & the Argyle Cut, didn't bother me as much as in previous years; surprised that I felt so good & running so well having started a new program & not a single long run since the Canberra 50km back in early April .

I hope the casual wave I returned to the many who called out encouragement, was sufficient to let you know just how much you were helping me - I'm always so focused on where I'm going, staying on track, not tripping over, I can't talk!! The second 10km loop is always harder & it was again this year & I somehow missed clicking my watch during this loop, so I missed the splits.

I was delighted this year to find that I was no longer running the entire race on my own; I suppose that has to do with the extra 1000 runners, but I'd like to think it had something to do with the fact that I was running a bit faster as well!! Psychologically it makes a huge difference : runners to focus on & knowing there were quite a few behind me!

I struggled on some uphills in the 2nd round but absolutely loved the fast run down Hunter Street both times - I went berserk (quads, knees & calves today attest to the speed I'd gathered!) & I felt like I was flying through space! At the Argyle Cut for the second time & when I was surely feeling I didn't have much left, to my surprise Ewen was waiting & I think I berated him for standing around idle!! I was lucky I didn't get a clip under the ear! And this is how the run progressed for the final 2.5 to 3km :

Me, over & over : I can't go any faster; I have to slow down; I'm out of breath; both knees are hurting & the right one is killing me; I won't be able to sprint to the finish; I've got nothing left; I know, we're nearly there; got to keep going, I know I can't stop now...etc. etc..

Ewen, over & over: just keep moving; if you can do the next km at (naming it) pace, you'll break last year's time of 2hours 28minutes; keep moving; slow your heart rate down here; pick up the pace there; 1500m to go; not too fast yet; 1km left; there's the Finish Line (couldn't see it though!); see that lady up in front with the pick top, we'll slowly gain on her (we would, I agreed though she seemed a hell of along way off!); wait, (we did & passed her!); steady & get your breath here, lower your heart rate & be ready for a sprint finish; no, not yet; wait till the last 50m; just keep going; there's the finish line (again!)! And finally, O.K......GO!!


The Dream Come True!

And I did! I was off into a sprint & across the finish line with a net time of 2:24:47 .... 4 minutes faster than last year (to be confirmed in tomorrow's results). Gun time, around 2:26 I think. Still puzzled where the energy comes from to make that final sprint when you've been saying to yourself & everyone else that you haven't a thing left to run on!!

In the last few hundred metres, 2P & Gnome joined Ewen & me & lent their support in willing me to "keep the faith.....as well as the pace!" Thank you both so very much for running those extra metres! You were terrific & so very kind! I always get a special thrill to think that anyone would come back & run some of the final stages with me.

And what can I say about Ewen? I hope so much that the following simple statement goes some way to describing the sort of person he is : He made sure I finished the half marathon race...........ahead of him! ....I hope I can show my gratitude one day by "running out of sight on a dark night'!

From Chickybabe.

20 comments:

  1. Hey LL congratulations on a fantastic race and a faster time than last year.

    I actually saw you and Ewen crossing the road from my car heading towards the start - you looked really focussed even then!

    It was the highlight of my day to spot you coming in at about the 800m mark and to be able to meet you at long last and run with you for a little while.

    It was a pity I couldn't see you go over the finish but you were running so strongly and I had a couple of other members from Team DSA that I felt responsible for and needed to bring in.

    Well done LL and thanks for helping make my day such a memorable one ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bru told me all about running with you and Ewan to the finish. He really enjoyed it and I think it was a highlight of his day. Well done again on another PB under the guidance of supercoach Ewan.

    TA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent, what a great run and a fantastic finish. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Chickybabe! It is obviously the benefits of all the speedwork you are doing. Well done also to Coach Ewen. He is a real gentleman!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Princess Luckyleg and Sir Ewen. What a Team!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a fabulous post and a fabulous story. I loved every bit of it. How you can remember the detail of your nightmare and the run itself amazes me. You really provided so much colour to the day in the way you described it all. And you are right about Ewen, a very special person. All the hard work is clearly paying off for you.

    For me, LL, it was a thrill to have dinner with you and Ewen on Saturday night. I love soakng up as much as I can about this wonderful sport of ours and I learnt much about it just by listening to you on Saturday. Thank you for that honour.

    TD

    ReplyDelete
  7. You made Ewen run 2:24 to keep up? I think we are getting to a stage here where Ewen is going to be struggling if you get any faster. Sorry, when you get faster.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on a great run LL. Wow, 4 minutes faster than last year. That is simply awesome stuff. Ewen really is wonderful but remember you still had to do the hard yakka.

    Oh, and I just loved your nightmare, especailly knocking over people's furniture :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to hear your dreams coming true and your nightmares proved wrong.

    Excellent run.

    ReplyDelete
  10. nothing, absolutely nithing, can hold you back LL...congrats on yet another PB...each is special in its own right...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic running LL. I ran with Ewen tonight at training and he filled me in on the race and your PB. Well done - you must be so happy. As for that nightmare I believe we always dream in opposites so there's the evidence!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Improving 4 minutes from last year wooow you are amazing!!

    Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great result LL. Well done to both yourself and Ewen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You forgot to mention the best part of the weekend: 'Good Night and Good Luck' - it wasn't half good!

    By the way, that 3 seconds made up by sprinting to the finish will be quite useful come summer.

    Thanks again for the weekend CB. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations LL. You did so well after such a horrible nightmare! What an awful way to start the day!!

    I had a similar experience to you - some lovely CRs 'bringing me home' after a tough run. What would we do without them?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations LL on flogging your time from last year. The supercoach done good mate. Can I say it "You ran out of sight on a bright morning" Yeehah!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well done LL, another great run with a very good time!

    And of course, I forgot to mention, another great post to read!

    Kindest regards

    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  18. LL, all I can do is repeat what so many have said to you before (when are you going to really believe us :-)), that it is such an honour to run any distance with you. Definately a highlight (and I loved the nightmare! All I do before a race is lie awake and worry - you got the whole blockbuster movie :-)

    Gnome

    ReplyDelete
  19. oooh I have goosepimples...
    A great race LL and an excellent result.

    All the training is showing and to be getting faster and faster is just amazing.
    4mins in a half marathon is a big ask and you have obviously put in the hard work to achieve this.
    Sit back, relax and enjyoy the rest days now before you announce the next goal you are going to conquer.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Couldn't have happened to a nicer and more deserving person. Top marks to Coach too...a 4-min improvement doesn't come from thin air. Hard work and smarts. A great combination.

    ReplyDelete