Wednesday, August 16, 2006

R.I.P. My Brother.

I sat with my brother, John, through his last three days & two nights, tending to little things like giving him sips of water, making sure he was comfortable, stroking his arms and head, moistening his mouth with a sponge dipped in water and letting the nurses know when he was in pain, then morphine would be increased till he had no pain at all.

I had always promised John, when he was first diagnosed with prostate cancer 6 years ago, that I would be with him at any stage of his illness - and there were a couple during the last 12 months - when help was needed and especially when the final time came and he would have a loved one with him for support. I am very happy to have been able to keep that promise.

In the very early hours of Monday morning as I held a glass of water to his lips, he said: "I wish death would hurry up; he's knocking at my door". I knew he was ready to let go and he did so, very quietly, at 2:00p.m. this afternoon.

I knew & loved my brother for my 76 of his 78 years...almost a century, not quite, but still a very long time.

Rest in Peace, John.

14 comments:

  1. Your brother, John, was blessd to have you there caring for him. Our prayers are with you.

    TA

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear of your loss LL. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have done everything you hoped to do. That's lovely, LL. I am pleased for you and sad for you at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Condolences from me and the family Norma at this difficult time. I hope you hold up well. You will be in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please remember the good times and look after yourself and Jim. My thoughts are with you and hopes for a peaceful time over the next few weeks.

    Much Love

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about your brother Norma. Hope you are holding up well. Hope to catch up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very sorry to read about your loss. My condolences to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Condolences to you and your family LL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do not stand at my grave and weep,
    I am not there... I do not sleep.
    I am the thousand winds that blow...
    I am the diamond glints on snow...
    I am the sunlight on ripened grain...
    I am the gentle autumn rain.
    When you waken in the morning's hush,
    I am the swift uplifting rush
    Of gentle birds in circling flight...
    I am the soft star that shines at night.
    Do not stand at my grave and cry—
    I am not there... I did not die...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure your brother appreciated your presence LL...that must have been such a hard thing for you to do...at least he was ready to go & had you by his side...hang in there LL, look after yourself now...

    ReplyDelete
  11. My thoughts are with you LL. It must have been a terrible few days for you but also wonderful that you were able to be there for him. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The past few months have been tough for you Norma. I'm sure John appreciated your presence in his last days. That was a wonderful thing for you to do. Take care. Thinking of you always.

    Love, Ewen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Norma, my sincere condolences to you. You wrote that post about John with so much beauty and dignity it was something very special, as is a sister's love for her brother.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My sympathies are for you in your brother's loss.
    It was good for your brother,to have your company for the last few months, and to the last moments.

    ReplyDelete