Sunday, August 27, 2006
Day 1- Long Run
The plan for today was to return to Range Road for a run 75-95 minutes at 75-85% of MHR.
I hadn't been back there since doing long training runs before the Canberra 50km Ultra & a change of scenery is always a good thing...so I thought!
After a cup of coffee, I made an early start (for me!) around 11:00a.m, drove the car to where I wanted to start the run, and with Mr. G-armin for company, set off at a slow jog. About 1.5km later, I took a look at Mr G-armin to check progress, etc, only to find a blank face staring back at me.....battery out!
Now, the real reason I'd chosen Range Road was so that, when I returned, I'd be able to have lots of fun playing with a new toy provided by Motion Based, of watching myself dressed as a red dot, running up & down all the hills...I find this endlessly fascinating! Also, I hoped to find a way of putting the Google Earth satellite image onto my blog.
The thought of having to do the run & have no toys to play with when I got home was too much to even contemplate, so I ran back to the car, drove home, plugged Mr G-armin in, all the time swearing & cursing like a fishwife! After all, I'd got up early specifically to get back & start the red ball rolling.
I waited....waited, waited....until Ewen sent an email telling me I needn't wait till the horrible thing was fully charged. By now, it was another cup of coffee & 2 hours later & off I went again
to the same spot on Range Road, with Mr G-armin & myself fully charged & ready to go! I don't think I was quite fully charged by this time!
I found the course a challenge; it was quite a while since running a hilly course; we both ran out for 48 minutes, but returned in 41 minutes...good! It was now 4:00p.m. & nothing other than 2 cups of coffee all day! I drove triumphantly home, fell into the shower, had a bowl of soup & a bread roll & then tackled the task of finding why the satellite transferred to the computer all in black!
Several emails to & from Ewen, & with nothing else to try, I decided on uninstalling & then installing Google Earth again. Success!! The satellite image transferred successfully to my blog.
(A feint red line in the centre shows the course.)
If nothing else....it proves perseverence wins the day...and I am mighty pleased!