Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Update #3....& Looking Good!


5:00a.m. alarm! There was never a time I was "looking good" at that hour! But the news is good......."Glute Medius Tendonitis", same diagnosis as Physiotherapist; how encouraging is it when 2 out of 2 of your medical professionals agree!

The Sports Medicine Doctor, whom I've known for many years, knows me well enough now, that when I say: "Whatever it takes....", after telling me that I'm looking for a "quick fix" & explaining the problem & its causes etc..etc..& that it might hang around for 12 months, nevertheless knows better than to talk sense to this old dame! Instead, after having me stand on one leg at a time & then him twisting legs, hips & back in every direction & telling me my legs etc, were "in good shape!"... he very delicately stuck a very nice long needle in my butt for a cortisone injection which should settle down any inflammation in 2-3 days!! By which time, Hurrah! Hurrah! I can start back slowly but stay away from hills & run on the flat. Easier said than done, but I'll find something I hope. No need for any massage or hands on Physiotherapy, but important to keep up the strengthening exercises given by the Physio. After this 50km, take stock & be sensible!! Of course I will! After Canberra, training will be totally different from anything I've ever done before...or even since!!

This might be of interest : : I was telling him I recently sent away for the DVD "Pilates for Runners & Cyclists" from Studio Pilates Australia (I saw it in this month's Runners World, I think) & he said it's excellent; I've tried Pilates several times & have been bored to tears each time & given up! This concentrates just on core strengthening so I'm going to try to do it every other day. I had a look at it & every exercise is very well demonstrated, it's not at all boring & I know it's something I'd enjoy doing. (No financial interest at all in this product!)

Finally, almost.....I'll have another cortisone injection - under ultra-sound - in 2 weeks time; this one in Bowral! So watch out for the cortisone junkie on April 9!!

Really finally : thanks to all of you for your interest & especially your encouragement, which as much as any injection, will get me to the start line after all! (Let's not even think about the finish!). I can't imagine what my life would be like without all of you being part of it....so says Chickybabe from the heart!

22 comments:

  1. Owwiee!! I hate needles... I hope it helps and you're posting smiley faces in your blog again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good show LL. Will you start a "Flat Runners Club"? I will be a foundation member!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good news LL. Hope it continues to go well for you...it definitely helps the coping process to know what you are dealing with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to say 'that's great news' but Cortisone never is....nonetheless I am glad that you got the second opinion and done something about it.

    Was it really painful? Can't imagine it in your butt!!!

    I think a few more days of complete rest and take the exercises easy too! When I had cortisone I was told to be a statue for 5 days min. (well 10 but I shortened it due to lack of patience.....)

    See you at the start line Chickybabe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are one tough chickybabe!!! Glad to hear the news is postitve!! Can't wait to see you at the start line :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOOOOWW!! Thanks again everyone!! I hate needles too, Sarah, but if it gets me to Canberra....who's going to complain!!!!!

    Good idea speedygeoff for a "Flat Runners Club" - only qualification for membership is first to be run over by a steam-roller!

    Yep Stephen! I'm happy that they were both happy to agree!

    Clairie, it was really, really painful - deep into the most painful spot he could find!! And yes, more time resting would be better but time is of the essence here & the doc. knows better than to tell this chick to take longer than 3 more days off!! Another contisone injection 2 weeks out from the marathon should give me a kick in the butt start!

    Chickybabe looking forward to seeing you too, Kit, at the start!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And we can't imagine you not being a part of it either, chickybabe - so no more running up Brokebutt mountain for you for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good one, Cirque! I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! Great news LL!!!!

    I'm soooo looking forward to catching up again. See you in sunny Canberra :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Phew, for a while there I thought I might miss out on my post-race cuddle!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wobbly, don't you know I've been hanging out for another cuddle since City to Surf day!!!

    And soooo looking forward to meeting you too, blkbox!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great to see the old dame is back on the road to Canberra. Finding a flat road around your area will be a challenge. Good luck with the rest of your training LL.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good news. Hope it all goes well with the recovery now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OUCH! That needle sounds exceedingly painful but if it does the trick then no doubt it's very worth it. It's so good to hear you are still competing. That was the best blog news today. It'll be great to see you in Canberra in less than 5 weeks and I'll join you in the 50km. Yippee - I'm really really happy for you. Hope the next needle is less painful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope the treatment works or else I might start thinking that I am a curse. First Belinda with her calf and now you with your butt. I have set these events as ones I want to run with 2 of the gutsiest runners I know. I am sending all the positive energy your way as we need to get you to the start line at Canberra. Once there, I will help you take care of the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good News.

    Start line in Canberra, here we come.

    Sure you'll have great support at the start and everywhere along the course.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's great news LL. I can't imagine how painful it was but not as painful as not getting to the start line I'm sure!

    I'm sure you'll find the Pilates beneficial, it's helped me a lot.

    Can't wait to see you triumph in Canberra.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great news LL, I hope the shot does the trick and you can get things back on track for Canberra.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now where on earth are you going to find flat roads around your place? I love the photos that you've been showing us, but I don't recall the landscape looking particularly horizontal! Maybe you can do your 20k runs on the school oval, but get the school band down there to alleviate the boredom :-) :-)

    See you in exactly a month (but who's counting...)

    Gnome

    ReplyDelete
  20. My goodness LL! I am exhausted after reading your post and all the comments. I'll just add hugs and kisses and say how much I am looking forward to seeing you in Canberra.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well done Lucky. good to hear you at your cheery self.

    ReplyDelete