Sunday, August 01, 2010


..........that I wouldn't be home before sunset, I started today's long run just before sunrise!  A small bowl of oats with a dollop of yoghurt at 4:00am and reset the alarm for 6:a.m. This training is serious stuff and serious measures such as these are now becoming necessary!  But, how I hate getting up anything before 9:00am, never going to bed before the usual time of midnight!

For today, 37km : first 10km loop along Old South Road before the traffic and full sunrise; second 10km around to Inkerman Road where I had a good view of how the new Renwick housing development is coming along...it is, in leaps and bounds.  3rd loop of 10 +7km took me to the end of Diamond Fields Road and beyond, where angels fear to tread!  Strangely, once out  and about the semi-dark start was quite enjoyable!

Each loop had its ups and downs  - mainly ups  - and the surface of Diamond fields Road, especially the bit beyond, was rough and rock strewn.  I suppose that's why my knees are sore tonight, especially the right knee so,  good that tomorrow is a rest day.  After each 10km I had a gel, water and sports drink. 

I did today's long run as an experimental run/walk (6/1).....walking the 'walk' as fast as possible.  After each 10km I was back at the car for a gel, water and sports drink.  What is of concern with this, I think,  is that it's extra stopping/rest time at the car that I won't have during the marathon; I tend to linger! It's not continuous run/walk, so next long run I'm going to carry what I need and do away with the extra minutes at the car.  I believe, in doing this there'll be quite a difference in how I feel at the end of 38km or more and very much more like how I'll be feeling during the marathon next month, ( next month?  Shriek!) though I suppose I could chat to the Ambos for a break.  4 hours moving time today.

Anyhow, that's how preparations are progressing....I hope that's the right word to describe the passing weeks!

I'm very tired tonight!

4 comments:

  1. Wowee 37km - that's huge! I'm not surprised you're tired. Fantastic running. Today was dreadful weather-wise here - bleak, cold, windy and only 5deg during the afternoon. Hope your temps were better than that where you were running. You are certainly well prepared!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After doing the marathon today, I know how you are feeling.

    Sounds like the preparations are going well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's a huge run LL. Well done! With that kind of prep, I'm sure you will have a great race!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed. It'd take me 3 days to run 37k!

    ReplyDelete