Monday, September 24, 2007

"Everybody Ought To Have A Ewen....."




....how else would I have been able to shake of this youngster & pass him & a few others to the finish line? It might have something to do with what Mae West said to Cary Grant in the movie "She Done Him Wrong", something like : Is that a gun you're carrying or are you just pleased to see me?




...on Motion Based.........

Program : Special Event..Blackmores 21.1km.

I suggested & had Ewen's approval to use this race as pacing practice that I would be able to run for Melbourne Marathon on October 7th. We fixed on a 7:35 minute km but, more importantly... staying with an AHR of 115 (76%)....not worrying about finishing time, etc...

A brilliant 6:20a.m. start (after a not so brilliant wake up call at 4:00a.m.!) & I knew from the very first step that I was going to have a good run & enjoy every minute of it!

I deliberately made a slow start to 'get into the swing' of things but after the first 3-4km found that with heart rate around 115bpm & 7:35m/k I was barely jogging ....this was just far too easy....so I decided to get a move on & shifted up a gear and ran the rest of the half marathon around 7:08m/k with heart rate still ranging between 115 - 120. I think this is what the mysterious Mr Hadd would have liked to hear : running faster than expected but at the same low heart rate... I'll check out that assumption with Ewen!

To sum up : It wasn't my fastest half marathon : that would have been my first one back in the "long ago" when I was 65+ when I ran 1 hour 56 minutes. But yesterday, I ran the easiest, most comfortable at all times, almost effortless half marathon of any! At the same time - though I realize they're different courses & therefore don't make for an accurate comparison - I was able to run 7 minutes faster than the SMH Half Marathon in May....& even if it isn't an honest comparison....I'm taking the victory!!
Septuagenerians are entitled!

And so...I'll say it again & again : "Everyone Ought To Have A Ewen"!


Time = 2:29:10. AHR = 120* (81%). Avg. Pace = 7:01m/k

*....what interests me about this AHR of 120 - which was so comfortable - is that it's exactly the heart rate I have been running during the upper aerobic track training sessions I've been doing for several weeks at Chev.

Back home in Mittagong, Ewen took an extra hour or so before driving on to Canberra, to get me started with "Sportstrack" which I've never been able to work out how it works! Should I thank or curse him for the extra hours I'm now going to be at the computer playing with this new toy!!!???

Fabulous weekend.....thanks to CR TazDevil for a tour of the beautiful northern foreshores on Saturday afternoon...lunch at a sidewalk cafe.


Coming Up : Melbourne Marathon!





Blackmores Half on Sporttracks........














































13 comments:

  1. Great idea LL - I'll take two thanks ;-)

    Congratulations on a fantastic dress rehearsal for your big gig in Melbourne coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 things LL!

    - Congratulations on that fabulous run yesterday, you are a true legend.

    - Seeing you on the news last night made me once again realise what a very very special lady you are!

    Melbourne had better watch out, cause LL is comin' to get ya!

    I will organise for Eagle to bring a hug to Melbourne for you.

    Take care,
    Kxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done young lady!

    I was sorry not to get to see you yesterday. But I did have the pleasure of a quick chat with Ewen - both on the Bridge Run course as he ran past me and also after the event. He truely is a great asset for you and a great fellow to boot.

    I am so proud of your run.

    wt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good run Norma. Hope you have a good race at Melbourne. Sorry I missed you this time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huge congrats LL. You sure looked like you were very comfy when you passed the cheersquad. In fact we couldn't believe how easy you were making it look!

    Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did look so good out there overtaking all those young whippersnappers and they didn't even know they were being passed by the honorable CR Dame.

    Have a great time in Melbourne and hopefully their cheersquad will give you the right boost.

    TA

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right LL. Everyone should have an Ewen....and a Luckylegs.

    PS - your support has encouraged me to restart my blog, although I only have baby steps to report. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely fantastic run LL. Ewen told me about your appearance on tv too - wish I could have seen it. Wow - you are certainly a legend. It bodes well for Melbourne. Will be looking forward to reading that report! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be spewin' if I can't find a Ewen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations LL! Great run, not so much for what you did, though that was also great, but how you did it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on a gem of a run Norma. It was great to see you on the news but I was sorry to have missed you on Sunday. I guess we will catch up in Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great run and looking good for Melbourne.

    I guess your tile could be a Ewen pine?

    ReplyDelete