Sunday, January 08, 2006

Sunday Run - 18km


Took my new & first pair of trail runners out today even though I hated the thought of getting them dirty! Carrying them would have looked a bit strange!

I ran 8km along a dirt road which then led onto a quiet fire trail through the bush. I've not ventured onto this trail before, not knowing where it led to, but there was only one way to find out. I would only have covered a little over 1km on the fire trail before turning back, but each alternate Sunday, when the run is a shorter one, I'll go further each time & see where it takes me. I have a feeling it will come out onto Tourist Road a long way down Macquarie Pass, but have no idea what distance it is......it's exciting to have something new to explore; my only concern is that it's completely isolated. I'll give it another go in 2 weeks' time & see how I feel about being on the beaten track!

My legs, to my surprise on the way back, were getting fatigued even though I haven't run at all since last Monday; I guess they're not fully recovered from the "Black Stump" run, so I walked up 3 of the steep hills. Total 18km.

Programme for the week ahead coming from Ewen tonight....before he falls asleep!

5 comments:

  1. LL, I have to say that I share your concern - heading off down the track is isolated, and there's no backup. Make sure that 'im indoors knows exactly where you're going and exactly how long you're expecting to take.

    sfG (the worrier :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a dear worrier, sfg!! But of course you're absolutely right; occasionally I change direction, knowingly & sometimes unknowingly(!) when I'm out, so 'im what's 'ome would never find me!! However, in case I drop on the track, I always wear a key- ring tag tied to my shoelaces with name, home phone, N.O.K. & address on it....assuming someone eventually finds me!! I also carry a mobile, but in some parts there's no coverage until I get back up on the ranges; so you've done well to warn me & I'll now think again about going there.....but it was so lovely & quiet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be concerned running in that area by yourself LL. I second what sfG says and ensure you leave details about where/when etc.

    That said, if you get the urge to run it on your own, you might get hubby or a friend to meet you at the end where you think it comes out. That way someone will be waiting for you and knowing approx how long you should be. Will be good motivation for you to keep going and get there in good time too.

    I am not suprised the legs are still feeling the effects. Sometimes it takes a run to blow out the cobwebs though and then the next run they feel better.
    Funny isn't it how the body can so easily tell us to take a rest or slow down :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with what the others have said LL but it does sound like a lovely place to run all the same. Just be careful please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LL, I can't believe that a few months ago I thought you were going to turn into a sprinter. But you have well and truly ventured over to the dark side and are even wearing trail shoes!

    ReplyDelete