Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Maybe osteoarthritis?

I'm sure Speedygeoff had no idea when he wrote in his blog recently about taking time off, just how applicable and motivating his comments would be for me.  It was as if he knew I was in  a "decline" over the past couple of weeks, but he couldn't have known that, I didn't tell anyone -which goes to show that what we write in our blogs can so often be the very thing that someone else needs at that point in time to 'get yourself up, dust yourself off and start all over again"!

For the past couple of weeks I've been doing some walking, not every day, but no running because of knee pain. I don't have an injury, it's just aging arthritis, so last night after reading Speedygeoff's latest blog entry, I decided enough is enough, to get out and run/walk before I forgot how to do it!  I looked up the Maffetone heart rate system, worked mine out, got myself out and found I could still jog/walk!  I had to include some walking when HR started to climb, especially on the hills.

Yes, my knee became very painful after 5km but it was like that anyhow when I was just walking or doing nothing, so what the heck, I kept jogging! But, will my knee allow me to continue and will it be enough to run the ACTVAC half marathon in six weeks' time?   I don't know the answer, but at least....for now, I'll be trying!


From the School, Diamond Fields Road and back...
10km easy, relaxed jog/walk
AHR 66%.

10km on a grey, winter day!



Today 10km

5 comments:

  1. Clever girl! A link to Speedygeoff.

    You should touch base with our friend Liz. She's been coping with diagnosed osteoathritis for the past 6 months. Her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done LL. You are so strong. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ewen....I wish I was as clever as you think!

    Ruth, I don't know about strong; I fear this knee pain might win.....Waaah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog so much! Keep blogging. Me and my spider vein removal team enjoys reading your blog so much. Keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete