Thursday, December 26, 2013

Goodbye Acer .......

Although I've never had a battle on my hands before with a major company, I was, nevertheless, surprised to find just how much I was affected and the toll it took, not only all  my time and energy, but more so on many aspects of my health.  I suppose getting older doesn't necessarily make many things  any easier to cope with.  I couldn't sleep, I cried endlessly, I felt alone and helpless and all the while I kept on calling Acer's non-existent customer support where operators in Manila are highly trained in being polite and all repeating like robots, the very same memorised script regardless of the problem or question from the hapless victim in Australia.  I dare anyone to try to speak to a real live human in Sydney!  It won't happen, believe me, I tried for more than 6 weeks!

NSW Fair Trading within 30 days persuaded (?) Acer Australia to return my money on the computer that gave up two days after delivery.  What Acer didn't say though was just how long they intended to continue withholding the refund, nor how much more blood they intended to drain me of!   For another 2 weeks I sent 2 emails every day requesting, then demanding, that they do what they were legally obliged to do....refund the cost.

Here are some of the replies/excuse/lies/delay tactics I received:

Speaking to Finance Department today;  will take a week; spoke to finance, will do so again; should be through by end of week;  will check with Finance this afternoon; sending today (not); sorry, I was away yesterday; will talk to finance today....and on and on it continued over 2 weeks. 

You couldn't even get the pickup right, Acer!  Manila arranged for one courier to call ...can you believe this?...while Sydney arranged for another and, of course, neither turned up at the prearranged times, but I had to wait endless hours thinking someone would turn up. When finally a courier did call I hadn't the necessary documents they required: manifesto, address for delivery...well, that makes sense, doesn't it Acer?  Couriers aren't blessed with psychic powers, you know.  They need to know where they are going. Unlike some businesses who wander the world taking money from well intentioned customers.

In a state of near collapse and with Christmas approaching, I finally begged Acer management to finalise the refund before the Christmas holiday period began.  I knew if it wasn't through by then, the whole horrible nightmare would have to start all over again in the New Year, and I just couldn't see myself handling that too well! This brought a response from the Manager of Customer Support who phoned me late one evening to apologise....whose email I managed to find on Acer's Facebook page!....and to whom I sent yet another email.  I have to say he acted promptly, replied that he had personally gone to the friggin (my word!) Finance Department and stood there while some idiot (my word again!) put the credit through.  He asked me to let him know the outcome.  I will tomorrow.

The refund was through within 24 hours on Christmas Eve!

I never expected my reaction to those 6 weeks of stress to be what it was.  Towards the end, I felt as if I was a lost character in a spy movie where a large and indomitable force armed with all the weapons, sets out to destroy the defenceless little guy who has nothing but his/her own wits to depend on for survival....this is truly how I began to see myself : an isolated victim being personally attacked!How the human psyche works is truly amazing!  Reminded me of  the character of Brody in "Homeland" and how he succumbed to prolonged torture!

Anyhow, it's over, but I would never, ever, no matter what, ever have anything to do with Acer products again and God alone knows I love the latest electronic devices!  Neither would I ever, ever, ever recommend Acer Australia (UK, India or anywhere else on earth for that matter) to others or to have anything to do with this company...see their Facebook page for a worldwide, multitude of complaints like mine. 

In a strange and very ironic way, I think I was lucky.....there are numerous victims who have never reached and probably never will receive a fair solution to genuine problems with Acer's denial to support their customers.  A disgrace and........a pox be upon you Acer!

This morning I jogged/walked 6.7km.





No comments:

Post a Comment