Saturday, July 09, 2005

5:58:51 !!!!!!!

There it is! Is that the sort of time a runner would take to complete a marathon? Well it did & I'm disappointed with it considering I was allowing a generous 5.30 to finish. Anyhow, can't change it, can probably learn something from it, though can't think what that might be right now except never underestimate what can happen during a marathon no matter how you prepare, how good the first half, etc. etc.

All pre-race preparations were in place, hydration, fuel, etc. slow start & first half all good. During the second half, however, I suffered badly; my quads just about completely seized up, were shot through with pain at every step & I just had to hang in there & keep moving forwards, backwards, sideways, any whichways as long as it took me towards the finish. Strangely, at no stage did I even consider not finishing; it was 'do or die' & I just kept telling myself I was getting stronger with each step (lies!), slower (for sure!), but nearer & nearer to the end. I was never going to give in while there was the slightest chance of finishing & I truly believed that no matter how badly I felt, I could still make it unless someone pulled me off the course!

So when the motor cycle police officer pulled up alongside at about 35km I thought that gruesome moment had arrived! He asked if I was OK! Who? Me? The Chickybare blogger? Sure, I was OK! Just stopping momentarily for some light refreshments! And off I wobbled again trying to look like I was having the time of my life....which I was in another kind of way though!
What this very kind man did was to ride ahead, alert others wearing similar gear that a lady in her (wait for it!) 50's was in trouble out on the course. Every km from there seemed like 10km before reaching the next km point, but with 1.5 km to go, Courtleylove's daughter, CR Eskiemo, came alongside & jogged with me; at the same time straight ahead the entire cheer squad was approaching...I thought I'd died & gone to heaven & here were the cherubim & seraphim coming to take me through the pearly gates!

This wonderful group lined themselves on either side of me & with shouts of encouragement , banner flying & pom poms waving, they saw that I got to the finish chute & still on my own two feet...I think! They didn't leave me there though; they just walked along outside the railings & I'll never, ever, forget the sound of their voices shouting "GO NORMA!" over & over until I crossed that damned line! These, not the run, are the memories I will take with me forever of GC 2005.

Monday I couldn't leave the apartment; my quads were in agony by then & far worse than during the marathon; had I gone out it is quite likely I'd have been arrested for loitering in a public place! I was moving like the Tinman in the "Wizard of Oz" but not nearly as elegantly. Tuesday I found I could cross the road to the beach by avoiding all the curbing & using those sloping bits they have for oldies! Even they felt like going up & down a roller coaster. I had a lovely time wading in the surf ....a wonderful massage for my weary legs. Tuesday I did the same but wore my cossie so I could duck under the waves....sheer bliss; also did a long walk along the sand; so beautiful those beaches.....seemingly endless stretches of white sand, warm water to wade in, mist from the sea breeze, balm for a tired body, soul & mind.

And this was pretty much how Chickybabe finished & sailed off into the sunset of her latest marathon!

8 comments:

  1. Fantastic account of your latest epic Chickybabe. Belinda and I are in awe of your tenacity and will to be different. It is so great to see the support you got from the CR community. Wish we could have been there to see it. Those photos of you finishing with the Cheer Squad are priceless. Hope your body recovers well and you are able to set some new goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to read your account of a race you really toughed it out on, LL.

    At the Coolrunning drinks on Friday I spoke to a few of the other CRs that were part of the cheer squad. Each and every one of them rated cheering you home as the highlight of the weekend. It was certainly the highlight of my weekend, and it was fantastic to finally meet you.

    Cheers,
    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great write-up of your GC experience! You are definitely a fighter and proved it by not giving in - well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LL - I didn't enter the GCM but I have fantastic memories of the race and the whole weekend. The greatest one is that I can always say "I finished a marathon with Luckylegs".

    ReplyDelete
  5. The '58:51' bit was good! Next time it will be a '4' in front of that. Chickybabe, you need to edit that post up there ^^ and say I cooked you a four course meal! By the way, I'm a slow eater - everyone beats me (and in running too)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Norma, the small things done by others because they want too is always what you will keep for ever!

    The CR community is great & growing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol, I felt like crying when reading this about how great the CR community is. And if nothing else, a brilliant score with the 50 age bracket! Tells you a lot about what you're doing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. As always you are a true inspiration LL!

    Well done to you.

    ReplyDelete