Sunday, August 30, 2009

Surprise! Surprise!



After my run, and while I'm showering, who should arrive at the front door but Cool Runners Ruth and Ewen laden with birthday cakes, cards & presents!! And all the way from Canberra! Oh My God! I've never, never, ever been so taken by such surprise and I'm still reeling tonight!

From the shower I could hear unfamiliar laughter & couldn't for the life of me work out who it might be....but there they were with the kitchen bench spread with goodies. I have to mention how this all came about : some time ago I saw on Ruth's blog a photo of what she had made for her grandaughter's birthday. Jokingly, I left a comment saying I wanted one too for my birthday....and I GOT IT TODAY! And a week early to boot! From Ewen I now have "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running" by Haruki Murakami; this I've wanted to get hold of for some time.

Could anyone wish for kinder friends than this? When I think of all the work that went into the making of all those little cakes, not to mention the big 'mumma' ladybird in the centre - thank goodness you didn't try for 80! - then the drive from Canberra....I'm gobsmacked! I think I'll stay overwhelmed for a full week, right up till the actual day I become an octogenerian. Thank God I don't in the least feel one little bit like one though!

But for the run now, even though it feels so insignificant compared to what took place after!

Ran 20km today ...10 out & 10 back along Old South Road.
Course: hilly & with long inclines.

Weather: Horrible! Windy & Cold. On the return I was forced to walk as the wind just blew me backwards!

Time 2 hours 39 minutes.
AHR 119 (75%); MHR 128 (81%).

Distance today 20km
Distance this week 59km.

Ruth.....4 more little lady bird cakes gone!! Super delicious!

Ewen.... the significance of the number 43 on the front of the card was not overlooked!


4 comments:

  1. Wow!! That is wonderful LL. I'll have to mention to Ruth the next time I see her how much I liked your cake ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LL - it was the best fun ever! And I love your home, your gorgeous dogs and your town - what a delightful place to live. I will post some more photos on my blog which you can "borrow"! As for that 20km run - you looked so good after it - talk about an inspiration - wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So did I miss the birthday??? Hope you enjoyed all those cakes LL...I'll be watching for you now to be running them off over the next few weeks ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good long run LLs - timed to perfection!

    ReplyDelete