Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Long Run

Long and cold!  I didn't run long on Saturday because it was wet so, rather than miss the most important run of the week, I let track go for this week and did the long run instead.  It was so cold and windy!  Even now, after a hot shower, coffee and banana muffin, I'm still cold!  I haven't run as far as 16km in ages...no surprises, it was a huge struggle. Diamond Fields Road was all stones and rocks, much in need of grading and a deathly trap for the unwary jog/walker.  I walked the first 2 km and the last 2km and some hills in between.

I'm not enjoying runs of this distance anymore  (I'm too old!) and after the Wingello half marathon in August, I will not do any more half marathons...that's it!  5 to 10km distances will be my limit unless I decide to quit altogether.  Time will tell!

16 cold kilometres!

 
I don"t think yesterday's Fitness Class at the school helped today!  One of the exercises was to climb onto the stadium stage  (like Everest for me!), run across the stage, run down about 20 steps and repeat 5 times!  After several futile attempts to get just one leg up before falling back on the floor, a watchful teacher put a milk bottle crate below the stage for me to step onto before trying to get up any further!  This made it slightly easier but I still had to cling desperately to the side of the stage to get a foot or hand hold!  The students, to embarrass me further, simply took one flying leap and they were up and gone while I'm still straddling the edge of the stage with arms and legs in all directions like some crazy octopus!

After that, I took extra time with the skipping rope just to show them how good I was at skipping!

Today : 16kms Diamond Fields Road....2 hours 45 minutes and 3 seconds!!!!

...Diamond Fields Road as pretty as ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment