Saturday, November 18, 2006

"With a Song in My Heart".......



..........and Flash Duck beside me!

Thursday, 16th November.....

AIS Track, Canberra, 7:20 p.m., 1500m Race where at long last I ran out of sight on a dark night!!

Result: ( official time) 8:24.65 ......a new 1500m ACT W75 Record, taking approx. 1 minute 15 seconds off the existing record.

No wonder there was a "Song in My Heart" as I finished.......... & it's still there 48 hours later!

On the 1500m road course on a street in Bowral where I'd trained for this distance, I struggled to go under 9 minutes & succeeded in 8:45 just a week before Canberra. Ewen had said he'd be happy with 8:30 on the night of the 16th - & I thought he was being funny - so to get below that time was something I'll never forget....I'm becoming not so slow at long last!


(Confirmation still to come for ACT W75, 800m Record, Thursday, October 26, 2006.)

Friday, 17th November, Canberra "Customs 5km" Race:

Since I was right there in the vicinity, I might as well have a go at this one too!

A 5km PB!! 31:08 ............ speedygeoff ran this with me for very obvious reasons : I'd have had search parties & sniffer dogs out following my trail to Cooma & beyond! Thank you for taking me through & especially being so willing & cheerful about having to "Go Slow" to stay back with me! You're a gem!

After the previous night & then this event, I was way, way up high & getting higher & higher! We (Flash Duck, Peter, Ewen & I) decided to celebrate by enjoying a great meal at an Italian restaurant & cracking a bottle of glorious red which I got stuck into before anyone else & before the wine glasses were placed on the table.... showing an appalling lack of good manners by pouring the wine as fast as I could into my water glass! Even worse, I suggested the waiter uncork the bottle which he willingly would have done, except that it was a screw top!

We finished the night back at the motel for more coffee & peering over Flash Duck's laptop to see if Thursday night's results were up on the ACTVAC website, checking the latest news on Cool Running & me still laughing & clowning around like a harum-scarum wild woman!

Now, Saturday afternoon, & back in "downtown" Mittagong, I don't know what to say about the last 48 hours : Firstly : How effective for my running in every way it has been to take a stab at training for middle distance running over the last 6 months, thus having a break from years of training for long distances, marathons, etc. I believe there's been nothing lost, but a hell of a lot gained by training to run not so slow!

Many thanks to Flash Duck for staying on my heels & seeing that I didn't falter or slow down too much on the track (I will improve that on the curves, FD!) & for "looking after" me on Friday night! To Ewen : everything meaningful has already been said, so again to everyone for everything!

Training resumes tomorrow with a "long easy run" & a return to
Canberra on Thursday, November 30th. Odzookins!! Life's Good!!!

10 comments:

  1. I've been waiting, waiting, waiting very patiently to hear how you did in Canberra.

    BIGGEST CONGRATULATIONS FROM US YOU LEGEND!!!!!!!!

    Love and hugs and kisses,

    Wildthings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowee - fantastic! You are amazing! HUGE congratulations! Saw Ewen this morning and he told me all about your wonderful night at the track AND your great Customs PB. I am so disappointed that I had to be interstate and missed you. You are an absolute legend! I will now have a glass of champagne in your honour!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luckylegs, you are on fire! Somebody get a hose! Setting records left, right and centre. Congratulations on setting new goals and achieving them. You are a living marvel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woooohooo LL you have hit a real purple patch - congratulations ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. :)

    Congrats heaps!

    Awww, I wanted to be there. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. In celebration I have uncorked a screw top bottle of red myself tonight!! I'll be sure to drink to your wonderful success and glorious times on the weekend.

    Not only did you run well - but you had fun and achieved the runners high that we all chase and train for. Well done LL, magnificent effort.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats fantastic LL ! Congratulations !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Lucklegs. Awesome. Just absolutely brilliant achievement. You are entitled to be very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely post :-)

    Huge congrats LL. Like the others I was anxious to find out how you did. Your wonderful coach emailed me to let me know.

    Top stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am just catching up on things now that Bloglines is behaving itself again.

    Well done on the time. I am sure there are even better times a coming.

    ReplyDelete