Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Melbourne Marathon, 2007.

I've copied my thoughts from the thread on the Message Board.......telling it twice is too boring! Maybe a few photos taken from the hotel room at night are more interesting. They're all practically the same, but I just loved the spectacle!




Not on the Message Board is that the day after Blackmore's Half Marathon I found a large & painful swelling at the top of my left thigh. With icing & Voltaren I kept training for the marathon & it improved. However, it came back with a vengeance during the marathon & luckily I had put a couple of Panadol in my pocket with the gels, etc. Hardly able to walk without pain ever since, today I saw my GP who has diagnosed it as severe bursa inflammation. Tomorrow, an ultrasound to make sure nothing more is wrong & then complete rest, not even walking, until it repairs itself....possible cortisone injection depending on results over the next few days. The timing is OK though..... a few weeks rest & still time to be ready for Canberra Marathon...I hope!

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/4190028

I returned from Melbourne late last night, Tuesday...giving myself a couple of extra days to recover...and I needed them more than I'd expected!

I now realize that, for me personally as an ever-increasing septuagenarian, I must not in the future enter marathons where the course is opened to traffic etc.. within a time frame I am no longer able to meet.

Out to the turnaround point was a wonderful experience & even though I was running alone & used to that, I thoroughly enjoyed the course, the scenery around the bay and most especially, the continual encouragement from runners already coming in the opposite direction on their way to the finish....thank you so much...you lifted my spirits more than you could know! I was thinking how 'cool' it'll be to be running down hill just like that on my own return! Wrong, it would not happen that way! Cato and his dog, a cool duo, both wearing cool running t-shirts, waiting for me at the turnaround were the highlight of the first half of the marathon.

But after the turnaround point...and I'm speaking only for myself...was a nightmare! Running on the footpath meant watching that I didn't trip over tree roots; the cycle path became a dodging competition to see how quickly I could hop out of the way of cyclists...once I nearly didn't move quickly enough & was almost clipped by the bicycle. Please remember these are just my feelings & emotional reactions......others may not have been bothered by any of this at all.

I began to feel totally depressed as I tired more & more & could see that all the barriers, flags & directions had been removed, the traffic was flowing & the footpaths filled with people, children, dogs etc. At around 25km I realized I would be completely lost unless I could keep 2 runners in sight... way up ahead, one wearing a white singlet, the other a red one. From there, it became a frustrating & almost tearful battle to pick them out from others on the footpath which kept changing from bitumen, to grass, to dirt, rough patches.... and the pain in my quads from stepping up & down the curbs was difficult enough, but how painful was it to have to wait at all the traffic lights to change to green!

That was until at around 35 or 36km I saw Ewen, Eagle & Horrie waiting for me! From there to the finish, Ewen would run ahead & have the lights change to green by the time our trio reached the crossing! Has anyone ever heard of someone doing that for a tired & ready-to-give-up runner? I never have & will forever be grateful!

The cheer squad where Courtley Love & others waited? What can I say? I had yet to meet up with Eagle & Co. & I was fading fast, but you cheered me up & had even kept an icy pole & some snakes to keep me going!

Horrie & Ray warned me of any dangers they saw at every curb crossings - including an approaching tram - so I really didn't have to do any thinking for myself...just keep lifting one foot after the other & listen to their on-going encouragement. How truly I love these three great friends who have so often 'brought me home'!

Sounds like I had a bad day & didn't enjoy it at all? Not quite true & anyone who is still running at 78 will one day face these formerly unknown frustrations for themselves....maybe try it now so as to know what's ahead in the future!

However, I'd do it all again, the same way as Sunday, just to experience what I felt when I turned at the "Transport Hotel" & heard the cheering from all the Cool Runners who had assembled on the deck waiting for this Cool Running quartet to come by! You brought me completely undone & all the emotions I'd been holding back came pouring out... I broke down there & continued to sob all the way to the finish!

Coming into the completely empty MCG meant little if anything...it was just where I could stop running! Sorry if that offends anyone, but that's the truth; that's how I felt ...it was finished!

Melbourne Marathon 2007 will not be remembered by me for the marathon event only ...Net 5:58:00.

Melbourne 2007 will continue on in my memory for as long as I live as how blessed I've been to have Cool Runners, who have always been there to 'rescue' me on so many occasions, as an integral part of my life..... and you did it again on October 7th, 2007. That I will never forget!

I re-read what I wrote before going to Melbourne : "I expect the very best of myself and the very best is coming to me".............and it all happened exactly as I said it would!

19 comments:

  1. Oh LL - you brought a lump to my throat just reading that post. You truly are a legend and I wish I could have been there to cheer you on. The boys are simply fabulous and I'm so glad they were there to keep you going to the end. Congratulations on yet anther inspiring race report

    Here's to many more marathons - especially the ones without cut offs ;-)

    I hope you get the leg fixed up soon, enjoy the rest until the next round of training starts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are loved so much LL! Congratulations on completing another terrific race. Yu truly are a living legend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LL you are, without doubt, still the absolutely bravest CR I know!

    I always know I can turn to this blog if I'm flagging a bit and need motivation.

    Well done and I hope the bursitis settles down soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what an inspirational and moving post. You are so amazing LL. That was a great report. Well done on finishing yet another marathon. I really hope your leg is better in plenty of time for you to train for the Canberra Marathon. It will be fantastic if you can run here again. Now you deserve to put your feet up and rest and recover!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats LL.

    An inspiration as always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are certainly "blessed" LL but not more so than those that you continue to inspire.

    Wonderful stuff. Still running at 78? I doubt most of us have it in us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos Norma! Just like being there :)

    You should have seen how hard I had to whip Ray to get him moving on the jog back to 35k - he wasn't travelling that well, although he said it was GNW race pace.

    Once again, as always, you produced an inspiring run. Look after the injury. Plenty of time before Canberra.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LL, I'm sorry I couldn't make it into the city to catch up and say hi! A great post and again a great run! Well done

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great effort to keep going LL even with the thought of the road closures looming when you came up to the turnaround. You inspire us all with your determination to finish races. Hope those CR boys were ok with their pacing back to the G. Might see you at Fishers Ghost if you come up next month.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for telling us the real story. It is so easy for us to forget how more difficult it is when the race begins to pack up around you. Your determination is well revered within the CR circles and we love to cheer you on.

    As for the bursitis that is what got me back in May. Despite rest, physio and anti-inflams for about 6 weeks, I eventually had the cortisone injection done under guided ultrasound and that worked. I wished I'd done it earlier. I think breaking my wrist in the middle probably heped as well! but don't try that :-).

    TA

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't make too big a deal of the boys coming back to run with you, LL. It's an absolute privilege to run with royalty. They should be thanking you! :-) :-)

    Congratulations on beating the gutters and tree roots and traffic once again. Living as I do with a bursitis sufferer, I have a small inkling of what you're going through now. Enjoy the rest, and know that we're thinking of you.

    Gnome

    ReplyDelete
  12. LL - so sorry I missed catching up with you in Melbourne. But what a thrill to be able to cheer you on at the top of Fitzroy St, then again from the balcony of Transport. The guys, too, were heroes. Well done - the run and the report. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooops - I used the wrong 'identity' to add that last comment - it's really me ... courtlylove ... and I don't know how to delete the original!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i always love reading your posts after a big event...i almost felt like i was running along side you even though i've never done a marathon...makes me proud to be a part of this fantastic CR community...

    make sure you do all the right things to get yourself back up and running...

    you are an inspiration to us all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant as always LL - simply brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LL, one of the highlights of my run on Sunday was our little high-5 as we passed :-)

    I think we need to make you a blue and yellow cape, you are truly a superhero.

    ReplyDelete
  17. An amazing effort - your determination is very inspiring. What a great story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was once again a privilege to bring you home Chickybabe. You are without doubt one of our true running legends and one of the toughest people I know. Make sure you take it easy and recover from that nasty bursitis. We want to make sure you run many more marathons.

    ReplyDelete