Monday, April 14, 2008

Canberra Marathon, 2008.




....I'm very pleased to be able to say I did NOT look like this at any stage of Sunday's marathon....or so I hope, because I have decided that this is to be my last marathon.

Very briefly then....

I was pleased with the run, the weather, the cheer squad (bless 'em all!), other runners and even pleased with my time - 5:34:06....not my fastest but not my slowest either. In fact, my time was just 5 minutes slower than the last time I ran Canberra marathon 2 years ago, so I count that as mild deterioration only! I know I would not have been anywhere near as comfortable as I was (in the early stages), nor would I have run even close to a time from 2 years back, had it not been for the day-to-day coaching over many months from Ewen. Thank you, Master W!

As he did 2 years ago when I ran the 50km, Ewen kept popping up at various stages along the cycle path, making sure I didn't go off into the bush - or the lake - & pushed me towards the end to overtake a few runners up ahead..... a rare thrill for me these days, but I DID IT!

I will post here, for the future, only after I've taken part in a run. Day-to-day running will be simple & unadorned...and probably just plain boring to read!

Thank you so very much for your encouraging comments in the lead-up towards Canberra marathon....23 weeks in all. I appreciated them more than you would know.

So, for now...... "Good Night & Good Luck"!

17 comments:

  1. Congratulations LL! Glad to hear you have finished your last marathon on a high note :)

    I do hope you update your blog often as I've enjoyed reading your daily thoughts for some time now, don't be a stranger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great run Norma. I thought the conditions were fine. Sorry I didn't get to see you in Canberra. Might see you at SMH as I think you are entered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LL you are a fantastic runner and I assume, by how you always give other people credit, a fantastic person. Enjoy the post race high and try to give yourself a little credit.

    Please try and post as often as you can cause I have been reading everything you've written over the last few years, even if I haven't always commented, I never found any of it "boring."

    Anyways, before you stop your regular blog posts tell me what that "W" in "Master W" stands for.
    Otherwise I might just imagine the worst ;)

    Again congratulations LL. It might sound cheesy but I've always thought LL stands for "Legendary Lady"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huge congratulations LL. You were awesome out there and I was so proud when you ran through the finish line still smiling and well ahead of so many others. I was just so happy for you. It was such a fantastic effort. I do hope even if you don't run another marathon that you will still visit your many friends in Canberra. We always have such fun and love your company. Please stay in touch. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I said on coolrunning . "bloody good effort"

    As this is your last marathon , looks like I may never catch up with you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff LL. Another super run.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to see you out there on Sunday LL, and I shall miss your blog posts so I look forward to seeing you at some races.

    Great way to finish your marathon running career too, and maybe you'll change your mind and do another one in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic way to end your marathon running career. I was secretly hoping we could give the W80 50km record a go in a couple of years. Enjoy the recovery and hope to see you somewhere soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Goof Night & Goof Luck" Champ. You ran out of sight!

    Master W

    ReplyDelete
  10. Running the last part of the SMH half with you was one of the high points of my running career. You have given a lot of people a lot of high moments over the years, so thank you from all of us.

    Even if you don't update so regularly, make sure that we know what races you have coming up as well as telling us how you did! See you around.

    Gnome

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your marathon career has been an inspiration to many, including myself. Cheering you home at the Gold Coast in 2005 is a memory I will cherish forever. I've told my kids - I intend to tell my grandkids about it.

    Well done on your performance in Canberra - matching the time I was able to achieve when I was 31!

    ReplyDelete
  12. First up huuuuuuuge congrats on your Canberra Marathon. You looked so good out there ... then again, you always look good.

    I do hope you do continue to blog. My reasons are purely selfish, I draw so much inspiration from what you are doing.

    Sounds like we will be catching up next month at the SMH Half- cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dearest LL, you are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations LL.
    Please keep blogging, even your training runs are inspiring to so many of us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dame LL I can't believe you are hanging up your marathoning shoes! I'm so glad I was there to see you run this race. Ditto Ben's comments about GC 2005. Running the Blackmore's half with you is still one of my highlights!

    I hope you continue to blog so I can see what you've been up to. You've been such an inspiration to me.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice work LL - I have only one word to say - "thanks" ;-)

    ReplyDelete