Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sleepless in Mittagong

I couldn't stay asleep last night. No reason why; just one of those nights,  I saw just about every hour on the clock so that by 5:00am and anticipating the forecast rain that never came, I got up, dressed, had a cup of tea and set off for my long run in the pitch dark!  There are no street lights out of town and it was so creepy where I parked at Renwick school. I wasn't game to take to the main road until some light came through.  I ran, therefore, up and down Radio Road along side the school for 2km waiting for dawn to appear and give me the courage to set off!  I was even wary of going into the toilet block where I could barely see my hand in front of me...just as well it was my hand and not one belonging to someone else!!

I'd decided Saturday night to run on Range Road where I hadn't been for ages and at the same time get some hill running done.  I won't do this too often though; because of the hills I can't keep anywhere near the pace set down in my program...e.g this morning's long run should have been run at 7:23 min/km.  I was therefore very slow but it was a good hilly run, but only to be run now and again!

Program:
15km @ 7:23 min/km

I did 2km along side the school in 18:15 waiting for dawn!
7km with 2km straight uphill on Old South Road, turned left and still uphill onto Range Road to a turnaround when the Garmin showed 7km.




7km return mainly downhill...during which I could feel some knee pain!  Downhill running was how I tore the medial meniscus last year so I walked down the steepest sections.  I was quite shocked to have some pain reappear.  Warning heeded!

All up, 16km in 2 hours 14 min.

I was back and showered before the rest of the household had even stirred!

2 comments:

  1. Eeeek - do be careful LL - running in the dark all alone sounds very scary to me!! Perhaps you should take a secret weapon and a headlight. I hope you have a good night's sleep tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Norma,
    That was a really good effort by you this morning. Moreover,running to a pace is a tough gig - I guess you can still get training effect with the hills though I understand the desire to hold a certain pace for training.

    Better effort than me today which was one of chilling.

    cheers Plu

    ReplyDelete