Wednesday, February 09, 2011

A Sleuth at Work!



This morning I drove to the track at Chevalier College as I did every Wednesday in 2010 but this was for the first time this year.  I had completed the warm-up and was about to start a few drills and strides when I noticed a lone male stranger walking around the outside of the field, heading in my direction but looking around elsewhere.

Ah Ha, I thought!  "I wonder who this can be?"   Have to say here that the track is way down at the bottom of the school grounds, far away from everyone and everything so I'm always wary of strangers in or out of cars hanging around. To this guy, from a distance, thought I,  I might look like a lone, attractive, fragile, young thing!

It was at this precise moment then that amateur 'Detective LL'  took over!  I continued to jog towards where I'd left my gear near the fence, bent down and retrieved my mobile phone from my bag.  I thought with glee : if that guy comes any closer, I'll spring a surprise on him by whipping out the phone and, with camera turned on, snap him before he has time to run! I said to myself : In case he's going to flash 'it', I'm going to snap 'it' and head for the nearest police station!  I turned around, camera at the ready, only to find no one in sight; he'd done a runner!  The bugger! He'd probably assumed, wrongly, that at close inspection, I the vic* had had all the 'thrills' one can expect to have in a lifetime.  I was furious and determined to get this 'perp* and finish him off once and for all!

This amateur sleuth was not to be put off so easily so it was then that 'Chief Superintendent LL'  took charge, determined to flush out this possible perp*; and so, with "Smith & Wesson  Fox 3.6 M & P 15-22  .22LR" rifle (aka mobile phone) extended and tightly grasped in both hands  - as they do in the movies and all good crime fiction (or is that only with revolvers?) - anyhow,  I crept towards where the stranger had been near my car  which was parked at the corner of the equipment/toilets block just outside the track (see above pic.)  "Please God," I said over and over to myself, " if he's going to flash "it" don't let it happen till I get close enough to take the photo!" 

I crouched low while passing the car, turned the corner of the building, Smith & Wesson aimed steadily at where the vital area would be, ready to yell, "Stop or I'll shoot the thing into a million pieces and then blow your head off to make sure you don't ever do this again and while you lie in agony in a prison hospital tonight you'll be able to watch the whole incident on UTube!"   I'd forgotten he wouldn't have eyes or a head to watch with since I'd have blown him all over the place!

Fortune was not with me this time, however.  Not a sole in sight...not anywhere as I turned 360 degrees with my S & W Fox 3.6 hunting rifle still holding steady.  "Bugger," I thought.  "The perp* has got away!"  There wasn't much else I, the possible vic**,  could do other than keep my eyes peeled as I strode back towards the track and went on to finish what I'd come to do...a track training  session!

* cop lingo for perpetrator!
** cop lingo for victim!

I know....he might have been quite innocent, a member of staff, someone out for a stroll;  it's just that I read far too much Crime Fiction!  Imagine if I'd lost my cool and blown him to pieces without any warning!

The Program:  In bare feet.

10-20 min warm-up
 5 x 1km @ 6:04 min/km
400m recoveries
10 min cool-down
7km total.

I did :  1km warm-up jog
4 x drills & strides
1km laps :  6:04;  5:59;  6:01;  6:01;  5:59  Joy of joys, I beat VP in each one!!
1km cool-down & stretches.

I felt really good for each of these 1km repeats; strong & ran well...I thought so anyway!  Of course, I realize that's because I was still carrying my Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Rifle  until I'd finished the session!

4 comments:

  1. You sound a little disappointed that you didn't get a picture of IT. Thanks for the laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow - at least we all now know that you can look after yourself - LL on the loose - "armed and dangerous" - look out strange, lone, male strangers!! Just keep that "rifle" at the ready LL:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The iPhones from America have a Smith & Wesson application. With stories like that, no wonder your students were good as gold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all! You know how we either react with'flight' or 'fight' when threatened? Well, for me it's fight to the kill!

    I'd like one of those, Ewen!

    ReplyDelete