Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Cross-Training

Today, for a change I decided to run some Magill hills....the short ones.  He recommends running these almost flat out for whatever distance one can cover in ten seconds.  Not surprisingly, ten seconds barely saw me no more than my shadow length ahead!  I could see no gain in continuing in this manner, so I stretched the time to thirty seconds and in that way I got in some decent distance and some satisfying puff!

I did ten of these on a hill in Diamond Fields Road but I don't think it was steep enough;  I think the session should have been more difficult....unless I'm acquiring the dynamics of an Amazon!  It will have to do as a hill session though, keeping in mind that tomorrow's Tempo Run will be hard enough even for an Amazon!

I don't count cross-training days in weekly distance, only the three major workouts.  Today was about 45 minutes with warm-up and cool-down included.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I don't think it was steep enough. Something like that bank down at the playing fields but a little longer would be good. Steep enough so that you CAN'T run for more than 10-15 seconds.

    P.S. Thanks for reminding me that I should get back to those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the same thing, Ewen. I'll take a look at Iron Mines Oval next time I do this session.

    ReplyDelete