Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Day By Day ~ A Look at This Week ...

Four days off and it felt a little strange starting the engine back up again!  The plan for this morning and the next short while is some aerobic running each day for time, watching heart rate, but not distance.  I think this will be a good preparation before tackling a definite program for a specific race which I don't even know of yet!

I found a quite lengthy article by Pete Magill called "Solving the 5km Puzzle" which he wrote for Runner's World and Running Times.  At the conclusion of the article he gives a pattern of workouts for (1) Base-Building Phase and (2)  Race Phase.  It's the Base-building phase that interests me short term and a complete change from previous training for the "Glorious 5km" in Canberra last week!

So, off I set this morning, the weather hot, humid and stormy, and ran a Medium Run (60-80 min)  ...  I did 60 minutes and immediately my heart rate soared to the upper 80% of Max.!  To stop this happening, I walked a few steps whenever I saw high readings and until HR dropped into 70- 75% range.

Today : 60 min (turned out to be exactly 8k)
AHR 70% (110);  MHR 87% (138)

60 min aerobic run.

 As I finished, the rain began and more humid than earlier.  After the run I probably had about 1km walk back to the car and that replaced stretching.  I thought I was going to feel today's effort more, but I didn't, mainly because it was slow I suppose!

WEDNESDAY  ~  NIL

THURSDAY  ~   Drills/Short Hill Sprints.  Renwick :  Warm-up jog; 1 set Magill drills with stride between each; 8 x short hill sprints/walk down; easy running.  All up, from start to finish, 65 min. Very humid in spite of nice breeze; heavy clouds kept the sun out of sight. Looking like more storms - poor little Amy terrified by thunder and lightning!

FRIDAY  ~  Medium Run.   Renwick.  11:00am start.  Awful heat and humidity.  35 degrees.  Walk/Jog 60 minutes.  Long run with hills tomorrow, but will probably run this on Sunday as hot conditions lasting till then.  Felt bad during run...and have stayed that way ever since.  Too hot to be out.

SATURDAY  ~  Nil.  Too hot for me to go out.  35 degrees.

SUNDAY  ~  Short Run.  40 minutes.  Surprised still very hot even with some shade on Diamond Fields Road.  I don't much like these hot nights either; sleep difficult resulting in tiredness next day.

....and that's it for this week!



 



No comments:

Post a Comment