Monday, February 15, 2010

Yesterday's Long Run


I waited until after mid-day hoping for the rain to cease, but it didn't. The plan then became to do the 24km in short loops of 6 x 4km from and back to the car where I had stashed 3 complete changes of clothing, a gel and a banana!

I parked under shelter in the school where there was easy access to water (and toilets if needed!). The pace I was expected to keep was 6:57 to 7:06 which I find is getting increasingly harder as the runs get longer each Sunday. I managed to stay within those boundaries yesterday, whereas the previous Sunday I was a dismal failure towards the end of 28km. No Virtual Partner in these long sessions; I just keep an eye on the 'pace' setting on the Garmin.

1st 4km (2x2k) loop easy warm-up in 31:13. Avg. Pace 7:47

2nd 4km in 27:44. Avg. Pace 6:56

3rd 4km in 27:39. Avg.Pace 6:54
At this stage I changed from soaked shorts & top to a dry set; I'd brought 3 changes with me!. Had 1 gel with water.

4th 4km in 28:20. Avg. Pace 7:04
Ate half a banana.

5th 4km in 28:27. Avg. Pace7:06. Finished banana!

6th (& last) 4km in 28:30. Avg. Pace 7:07.


Thoroughly soaked once more, I didn't bother to change as I had only a few minutes to drive home, hot shower & clean, dry clothes!

24km
2 hours 51 minutes.....in the rain! DONE!







2 comments:

  1. Well done LL - I'm so impressed that you ran all that in the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very well organised.

    It's when you don't know it's going to rain, that catches you out.

    ReplyDelete