Wednesday, December 14, 2005

A Bad Day at the Track!

The session was supposed to be:-

Warm-up 14 minutes (incl. 4x100m strides & Stretching).
1 x 400m......Hard!
Rest + Stretch 12 minutes.
1 x 800m Hard! Try for 4:30.
Warm-down.

I completely messed up what I'd expected to be a fairly easy & successful session! And it should have been...what a dope! I am so cross with myself I could kick myself if I could!

Warm-up...OK

1 x 400m....started out so hard that, with around 100m to go, my legs went 100% lactic! Full Stop! Dead End! Walked to the finish; forgot to click the 'stop' button! I don't want to know the time anyhow! I've asked myself a dozen times : how can anyone mess up 1 (just one!) 400m like that?

On to the 1 x 800m & try for 4:30 minutes!

Slower start! Lap 1.... 2:33.5; Lap 2 ....2:23.7 giving a GRAND SLOW total of 4:57.2!

Warm-down = walk to car & drive home disappointed with myself, but learning something new every track session & I WILL do better than this in the future!

This does not bode well for the Report Card later tonight!

Edit : As well as the Report card, I was given some excellent advice; here it is:-

"You ran the first 400 probably like a 200m race. That's why you came to a stop. If you ran it like a 400m race you would get very lactic with about 50 metres to go. This is still too fast. You should have run 'hard' which is starting a fair bit slower than you did. It should have been about 2:08 or so.

After that sort of effort you would need about 45 minutes of recovery before attempting the 800m!! That's why the 800 was slow - you were still suffering from the 400m."


Report Card

1) Preparation - 8/10 - good but perhaps too much mental preparation.
2) Neatness - 3/10 - a scrawl so bad I could hardly read the page. Started ugly and got worse.
3) Comprehension - 6/10 - forgot to stop watch.
4) Interpretation - 4/10 - didn't realise early enough it was all going wrong.
5) Initiative - 5/10 - should have realised more recovery would be needed before attempting the 800.
6) Learning - 9.5/10 - a very good lesson was learned... Don't start a session at the wrong pace!

w


I was expecting far worse than this as I'd already given myself 0/10 for the entire session!

5 comments:

  1. We're all allowed a slip up now and again LL. Even Chickybabes. One bad run doth not a bad report card make :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it comes to marks, always listen to teacher, not yourself... :-)

    sfG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howdy, French jooger living in the US and lover of your blog. I have been reading it for few days now and I love the advices, real experiences, sounds like me!
    I also take a LONG time to warm up, sometimes though it's quick and I know I'll be allright pushing a bit. Odd. Most of the time I am super careful and warm up at very slow pace even though it is boring. I have two songs to listen to during warm up... very slow songs, after that I can push.
    Thanks for your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey LL - on the bright side, your lungs would have go a good workout :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you learnt something for next time then it was worth it!!!
    You learn something new every day :-)

    ReplyDelete