The session was supposed to be:-
Warm-up 14 minutes (incl. 4x100m strides & Stretching).
1 x 400m......Hard!
Rest + Stretch 12 minutes.
1 x 800m Hard! Try for 4:30.
I completely messed up what I'd expected to be a fairly easy & successful session! And it should have been...what a dope! I am so cross with myself I could kick myself if I could!
1 x 400m....started out so hard that, with around 100m to go, my legs went 100% lactic! Full Stop! Dead End! Walked to the finish; forgot to click the 'stop' button! I don't want to know the time anyhow! I've asked myself a dozen times : how can anyone mess up 1 (just one!) 400m like that?
On to the 1 x 800m & try for 4:30 minutes!
Slower start! Lap 1.... 2:33.5; Lap 2 ....2:23.7 giving a GRAND SLOW total of 4:57.2!
Warm-down = walk to car & drive home disappointed with myself, but learning something new every track session & I WILL do better than this in the future!
This does not bode well for the Report Card later tonight!
Edit : As well as the Report card, I was given some excellent advice; here it is:-
"You ran the first 400 probably like a 200m race. That's why you came to a stop. If you ran it like a 400m race you would get very lactic with about 50 metres to go. This is still too fast. You should have run 'hard' which is starting a fair bit slower than you did. It should have been about 2:08 or so.
After that sort of effort you would need about 45 minutes of recovery before attempting the 800m!! That's why the 800 was slow - you were still suffering from the 400m."
1) Preparation - 8/10 - good but perhaps too much mental preparation.
2) Neatness - 3/10 - a scrawl so bad I could hardly read the page. Started ugly and got worse.
3) Comprehension - 6/10 - forgot to stop watch.
4) Interpretation - 4/10 - didn't realise early enough it was all going wrong.
5) Initiative - 5/10 - should have realised more recovery would be needed before attempting the 800.
6) Learning - 9.5/10 - a very good lesson was learned... Don't start a session at the wrong pace!
I was expecting far worse than this as I'd already given myself 0/10 for the entire session!