Sunday, January 23, 2011

First Long Run in a Long While.

The thought of running 15km barefoot on grass, as I've been doing for two weeks, was more than I could cope with this morning.  Going round and round the soccer field for that distance seemed to paralyse my brain as well as my legs!  So, when getting my gear ready on Saturday night I brought out my running shoes and set them alongside singlet and skirt for this morning's first run on the road.  I wanted to see how my knee held up, or rather held me up, for 15km on a hard surface.  I wasn't concerned with what pace I should have been running;  the idea was to test my knee on the road with an easy run.

I can happily report it gave me no problems at all!  Starting at 8:00am was more like the time I should have been finishing!  7.5km out on Old South and Aylmerton Roads was fine, but I found the last few kilometres on the return were very tiring; so not all fitness back yet I have to assume from that.

To make sure my knee didn't have any added stress other than running, I walked the very steep hill leading into Aylmerton village and also the one on Bong Bong Road just before the school where I started and finished.  So, all good on the knee front!  However, I'll still continue to do track and tempo runs barefoot on grass and pool running twice each week as cross-training.  Two weeks of my program done!

Program:
15km @ 7:58 min/km

I did 2 x 7.5km
7.5k out in 62 min  7.5k return in 64 min 
Avg HR 72%

Total = 15km ( and the longest run since September last year!)

2 comments:

  1. Wow. That's a LONG run! Glad your dickie knee wasn't picky. Not sure that I approve of your new 'makeover'! Goofnight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news about the knee. I'm so pleased for you.

    ReplyDelete