Tuesday, March 05, 2013

"Lilly" ~~~

"Lilly" is a dog.  I think she's cross-kelpie.  I don't know what the 'cross' is but whatever it is, it has made Lilly a very nice dog.  She is black with a white stripe on her muzzle. She's not mine, though I could easily take her home with me after she joins me for part of my run; she has that : Oh, poor little me, I'm so lovable" look on her face and in her large,soft, black eyes.  Very hard to resist!  "Lilly" has one of those stray dog life stories that make sure you never stop believing that there are a lot of good, generous people living on this planet!

"Lilly" lives on Inkerman Road using at least four properties as her home.  She became a stray when her owner couldn't be bothered feeding her and so she wandered from house to house being fed by everyone and, unfortunately for the poor little thing, leaving litters of pups for the not so happy residents.  Two of these residents put together the cost and had "Lilly" desexed after her last litter of puppies, two of which found a home with one of the families....the family I've come to know and who told me "Lilly's" story recently.  Though she 'owns' this family as her main family, "Lilly" is a free spirit and so she continues to go from one family to the other, extending her presence for one and all to enjoy!

This is all happening on Inkerman Road where I usually run from Renwick.  I always stop and greet "Lilly's" puppies, now fully grown, as I pass their property.  They bark loudly and run to the gate, but are as meek as lambs and like nothing better than to be petted and patted.   It's while I'm giving them attention that "Lilly" appears from nowhere!  One minute she's not there, the next she's standing beside me at the gate, delirious with joy at seeing her puppies - she still knows they're hers!

When the commotion quietens down, "Lilly" and I set off uphill to the end of Inkerman Road where we about turn and head back down again.  Before we reach her puppies, she branches off into one of her other homes, but stays on the edge of the road until I'm nearly out of sight.  For the second time, the pups rush to the gate, we have another chat before I head back to my car parked in the shade in one of Renwick streets.

I love this mostly daily meeting with"Lilly", her puppies and her several owners.  They're such happy little dogs and I always finish my run by taking away with me some of their 'joie de vivre'!  "Lilly" continues to go from house to house, never staying too long in any one place, but always returning each day to see her puppies and run a while with me.  "Lilly" is a true, free spirit and she is allowed to stay that way.

Tomorrow, if I manage to get "Lilly" and her pups to stand still, I'll take some photos.

Now, My Run  :

I drove to Chev first, saw the track was too wet, thought of running the cross-country course, realized it too would be muddy and drove back to Renwick where I could run on the dry streets.

Today's Run...Inkerman Road lap 4/5..where "Lilly"" lives!


An easy 7.2km Run.
Renwick, Inkerman etc...

Breathing not good..still have chest cough;  walked a few steps when breathing laboured.  Tomorrow, I'll wear my HRM and see just how high or low my HR is.

For today:   7.2km 




2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post. Lilly's story reminds me of Red Dog in the movie. She must really love it when you run with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She does, Ruth! I don't know which of us enjoys it more!

    ReplyDelete