Monday, March 24, 2008

Special Event.....


Sri Chinmoy 7km Cross Country, Centennial Park, Sydney.

We left Mittagong around 5:00a.m. in fine weather & thought Sydney would be the same....wrong! It pelted down as we came into the city at 6:30a.m. after a quick run on the nearly empty freeway.

The park was dark & miserably wet so staying in the car was the only alternative until registration opened at 7:00a.m. Having done that, I buttoned up my jacket & set off on a 3.5km warm-up/slosh-up around the Grand Drive.

After the 14k runners had completed one loop, we 7km runners were off into the mud & puddles. The rain had stopped just before the start of the first wave but the 100% humidity almost undid me! However, I did get a very nice 1st place age-category trophy at the finish for my trouble! Time 48:49.

All up, it was a good run ... my first cross country race & I was pleased to have made the effort of answering the alarm at 4:00a.m! The course was clearly marked with red arrows upright in the ground so that not even I could get lost (though some others did!). Mostly flat on grass & muddy tracks, one short sharp incline. I wore #3 Frees which I was pleased with as they made it possible to step lightly through the quagmire & around the water traps!

Breakfast after : fruit & hot pancakes with maple syrup! Yum!!
Well done to Sri Chinmoy who always give us a great race & special thanks to the volunteers whom I watched, from the comfort of the car in the dark, as they set up the bits & pieces for the races in the worst of all possible weathers.






4 comments:

  1. Congratulations LL. A good run and a great result. A nice hit out before Canberra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've put some photos up so the coach can see you in full flight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huge congrats LL! Sounds like fun sloshing around in the mud.

    The trophy, and the pancakes, must have made the trip worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Flake. I know there are none of her falling A over T, so I'm guessing they'll show her and the #3 Frees covered in mud.

    ReplyDelete