Sunday, February 15, 2009

Long Run 27km


It was raining & barely light as I parked the car in its usual spot for the start of my runs. I wore my very light & very bright yellow "Ground Effect" wind jacket to start at 6:00a.m. I only had 27km to cover today but that takes me just about all morning!

Program : 27km (which I'd decided to do as run/walk...5/2 out & back from the car (4 x 5km) + (2 x 3.5km).

Results : 5km splits = 40:18; 44:36; 41:26; 45:07
7km = 1 hour

I wore my Fuel Belt as usual carrying 2 bottles : one for water, the other for Poweraid to drink along the way or at the 5km turn around point. I didn't need the water but drank the Poweraid.

Back at the car at the end of each 10km I had a bite of Powerbar, a gel, more water & took with me another of the 4 Fuel Belt bottles which I fill & leave in the fridge overnight. No use leaving anything to chance just before leaving in the mornings ...everything I need is set out on a coffee table Saturday night, just as I do before any event. That way I don't have to think too hard before setting out...I even leave myself a note to get the things from the fridge!

I felt this morning's run was tough, even with the walk breaks. After the first 10km, my legs didn't seem to have much energy at all & were aching from fatigue after 20km...not even half the distance of the marathon, now only 9 weeks away! Oh well, there's still some longer runs in the program Ewen has given me, so I put my trust in that that all will be well on the day.

My running time this morning was 3 hours 51 minutes! What makes that a little depressing is realizing that most marathon runners are finished by that time on the day & I've struggled to run 27km in training! I suppose I must admit to the age factor, but I don't like doing so!


Still...I must try not to be thin-skinned & fretful about it.....just get on with it!

Week's Total = 56km

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are getting on with it LL.

    I wouldn't be too worried about that time. You know, the hardest marathon I ever ran was my 1st in 4:15:00. I'm still very proud of that and believe I put more effort into finishing it then my recent 3hr 3 min one.

    I'm see more disappointed faces amoung the sub 3 crowd then I have ever seen among the 4 to 7 hour finishers.

    I think if you are smiling at the end it is because you have put in more effort to get there than the faster runners and everybody knows it. Life doesn't go to the first ones to finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Scott is such a sensible chap. He must have been a good student.

    Doing such a long run last week probably made today's effort harder than normal.

    You're right not to fret. Just get set. To go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only reason runners are finishing before 4hours is so they can be there to see THE MOST INSPIRATIONAL runner at Canberra cross the line.

    I am sure most of us will be looking for you on the course and drawing on your achievement as motivation and encouragement to not be so 'thin skinned' when the going is getting touch.

    Geeze Louise (yeah okay so it's not your name..but it rhymes!!)...if only you knew how much your running really does amaze me and give me knuckle whacks for complaining when its too hot or long or hard.

    Thanks LL for all your support and for being the most courageous running I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate spelling errors...sorry for my comment teacher.

    should be...when the going gets TOUGH.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete