Sunday, January 24, 2010

First Really Long Run In a Long While!


And that' because the weather changed from indescribable heat to delightful cool misty rain throughout the Southern Highlands today. All the surrounding ranges were hidden in mist. It was just my kind of day for a long run!

After a quick cup of coffee at home, I started just after 7:00 am outside the school in Radio Road and finished in exactly the same spot some hours later! I ran a 10km loop north on Diamond Fields Road, back to the car where I had water & half a banana, changed into my speedy Newton trainers - the ones that sent me AOT at SMC last Sunday...I swear they make me run faster! - and then set off south on my Inkerman Road loop, intending to make it another 10km and be back to the car for more water & the rest of the banana! I wore my Nike Vomero 4 trainers for the first 10km loop.

It's a woman's privilege to change her mind and I did by continuing on after 5k instead of turning around to make the second 10km loop that I'd planned, until I'd run18.5km and then turned back for 8.5km which brought me right to where I'd started....at the school, where I finished the remainder of the banana & had a LOT of water to drink. Cool weather doesn't stop thirst altogether.

Distance 27.2km
Time 3hours 18 minutes
5km Splits 39:25; 36:46; 37:03; 36:22: 35:02....(2.2km in 13:55)
Avg. pace 7:2; Best 4:57
AHR 113 (72%); MHR 127 (80%).


I thoroughly enjoyed today's long run and it has all to do with the weather for me! When I sent Ewen a text about distance etc, I said I think I could have managed a marathon today...very likely just wishful thinking! But I felt really good for the entire run & that's important for me!


1 comment:

  1. I was impressed by your text message! You could have run a marathon. Amazing the difference friendly weather makes.

    ReplyDelete