Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Thirty-five Minutes......

.......that's all it took before I packed up and stopped today's drills session.

By 3 pm on the hottest day I can recall here (37 degrees) a few clouds appeared blocking some of the sun, so I took that as a sign that it was time to get out and do a drill or two. I drove to Renwick soccer field where there was some shade on the gravel path along one side of the field.....some, but not enough, when the sun came through again.

Once there, there was nothing I could do but get on with the drills that were planned for my cross-training.

About 5 minutes jogging warm-up.
30 minutes of drills with strides in between each set.
5 minutes cool-down.....then


I found a hose, turned it on full blast & stood under it for at least five minutes. It was almost as good as a swim! Aiming the hose at my mouth, I drank till I could drink no more and then just stood there with the hose over me, drenching me from head to toe. Heavenly!

There are 2 calves that belong to the school to keep the grass down I suppose. When they arrived a couple of months ago to replace the two that got sent off to market - much to my disgust, I told the Headmaster - I named the new ones "Fred" & "Ginger" after you know who...... and besides, that's their colour...ginger!

After I finish a run or when I take the dogs for their afternoon run, I always go into the paddock, call them and up they trot, bellies swinging, knowing that I bring each a loaf of fresh bread which I feed to them by hand. Unless I keep it coming, "Fred" gives me a dig with his head to speed up the process! Lovely, greedy things!


What's this all about, you might ask? Well, this afternoon as usual I checked to see if their trough had enough water. I was shocked to see about a couple of inches left; obviously no one is in charge of looking after them during the holidays. I think this is downright cruelty and I was very cross that no one seems to be responsible for them over the long holiday period and especially in this terrible heatwave.

That leaves me feeling responsible and I will be until school resumes! As well as feeding them their 'daily bread', I'll also check on the water supply each day from now on. I can't understand neglect like this; it makes me very angry. I'll speak to the Headmaster. whom I've come to know well, when he returns. "Fred" & "Ginger" are such gentle & tame little things and totally dependent on someone's care. Well....from now on, they have mine!

It just so happens that I know where the tap is that takes water to the trough, so while that was filling up, I had my own shower under the hose, patted the calves goodbye and drove home! I felt good about 'coming to their rescue' but still annoyed that no one from the school thinks to do it.

Apologies for the ramble, but I had to get this off my chest!


3 comments:

  1. Well done LL - not just on the hot drills but on being a Good Samaritan and rescuing those poor little calves. No wonder they love you! At least you get a perk out of it - an excuse for a lovely hose down - sounds sooooo good! I wish there was a tap where I do my drills. By the time I drink my bottled water it's warm and yucky! Now I think you should post a photo of Fred and Ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to put Jim in charge of filling the trough.

    ReplyDelete