Sunday, June 21, 2009

Long Run Before Gold Coast

I intended to do only 18km this morning, so I set off without brekkie, water or any other supplies. Getting to 9km, I decided I might as well do one more, turn around & make a total of 20km for the day. This would take me as far as the village of Alpine where there are berry farms galore!

I ran along Old South Road (9km) to where it meets the Old Hume Highway. Turning right, the road was all down hill...... down the ranges all the way to Sydney, which I might have reached had I kept running, in about 6 months time!

After 1km down hill & turn around it had to be 1 km up hill! I found this incredibly tough especially having to watch for cars coming round bends. Safely back on Old South Road, light rain falling, it was more up hill & down dale for the run back to the car. The last 5k was really hard : I longed for a drink & something to eat! I walked the last 1km up another hill to the car.

I think it's good to feel that sort of fatigue occasionally! Shades of what's to be expected in the real thing even with aid stations.

20km
Time 2 hours 35 minutes.

10k out with AHR 111 (72%); MHR 129 (83%).
10k back with AHR 121 (78%); MHR 131 (85%).

Distance for this week = 66km


No comments:

Post a Comment