Saturday, April 26, 2014

Range Road ~~~ Long Run!

Well, if ever there's a test of fitness, or un in my case, it's doing a long run on Old South Road and Range Road!  F.I.R.S.T. programs put a lot of emphasis in running the 3 Key Workouts according to definite paces, each based on a recent 5km time.  At present, I'm using 40 minutes for 5km which meant the long run is done at 9:28m/k!!  Easy...until you try it going up steep hills all the way!

I haven't been on Old South or Range Roads in ages, but this morning I thought I was fit enough to scale the heights with ease!  WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! I walked most of the way until past the 4km mark, by which time I was right outside the new Abbey Nursing Home which, considering my condition at this stage, seemed an apt place to call into!  It hasn't been opened yet but at the front entrance the huge glass doors slid open and, before I knew it, I had stepped inside.

 It felt like I'd walked straight into heaven! "I'm in heaven!" I said in a faint whisper.  No one in sight as I crept over the plush carpet, past the state-of the-art Reception Area, along a brightly painted corridor, windows decorated with beautiful curtains, walls hung with large paintings; lounge rooms to lounge in, in super-large comfortable chairs, a modern library room.....no wonder I thought I was in heaven!  Closed doors along the corridors were just another temptation to peek inside...and I did.  Large, bright rooms as yet unfurnished, built-ins and best of all....a large bathroom and large, roomy shower. Ewen would have no reason to complain about this!  Views were onto either pretty water-fountain courtyards or overlooking the countryside.  Had there been a bed in any room, I think I would have stayed.....for the rest of the day at least!

Creeping out as stealthily as I'd entered, I met a work person putting some final touches before next month's opening.  No surprise at seeing me; chatted for a while before I was out the sliding glass doors, under the huge portico and on my way back to reality with another 2.5km uphill before turning around at Nanna's Lane.  Very pleased I made the detour (on left of map) and happy for those who will soon be transferred from the dreary old building to these bright new surroundings.

On the return down-hill section, I stopped to chat with a cyclist pushing his bike up Old South Road, too steep to ride.  He said I should try running up it, as I skidded to a halt beside him...the nerve!  I stuck out my chest and said disdainfully, "I've already done that this morning!" to which  he seemed suitably impressed! He'd cycled in From Robertson...about 60km all together.

Back at the school, I flaked out on the grass;  my quads and hip joints were screeeeeeming!  By tonight and tomorrow, I expect they will be screaming even more loudly.  Anyhow, the run was done one way or another, mostly 'another', and I was so pleased to be back in what I believe to be one of the most beautiful parts of my local area.  Unlike the new nursing home, it really is heaven!

13 Hilly Kilometres with a look in The Abbey.
: 13km
Stretches (from F.I.R.S.T. Training) at finish.
Avg. Pace 10:28m/k!!
Avg. Heart Rate 118/75% 
5km splits : 57:59;   46:45 ( 31:17 3km)

Going Up!

Top of first hill her

Heavenly Changing Autumn Colours!

At the "Abbey"

Around the Abbey

Across the Fields on Range Road

Turn Back!
Down hill at last!


Going Down!
 
For this week, counting only the 3 Key Workouts : 27.6km

No comments:

Post a Comment