Saturday, September 05, 2009

One Surprise After Another!


I went for my 6km easy run early this morning and afterwards, because the day was so wonderful, I decided to take the doggies for their walk in case the weather changed. By this time it was around mid-day.

Back home, walked inside and saw : Jim at the piano, eight of my dearest friends, their children and grandchildren all singing a resounding chorus of "Happy Birthday"! It so happens that this was all arranged by Jim and I didn't have a clue!

A quick shower and change of clothes and we were off to a lovely restaurant in Bowral where a superb birthday lunch had been prepared...16 of us all together. Some had travelled from the Central Coast and others from different Sydney suburbs. I just couldn't believe it, having thought we were to have dinner tonight just by ourselves.

After lunch and to give the kiddies a chance to burn off some energy, we drove back to Winifred West Park in Mittagong where there were swings, slippery dips etc to amuse them while we older folk sat under a weeping cherry beside a garden full of tulips and pansies all in bloom.

I'd been watching the littlies for a while sliding down one of those twisting tower slippery dips..not sure of the proper name, but I could resist no longer and to the surprise and amusement of everyone, I climbed to the top and down I came...what a thrill! Haven't done that in donkey's years; liked it so much I went up for a second slide....such good fun!

So that was my 80th birthday which will finish in about another four hours; a wonderful day with my very wonderful friends!

"Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof".

6 comments:

  1. Wow!

    But was it as big a surprise as the Ladybug cake?

    Happy Birthday Champ! You don't look a day over 43!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly sounds like you are 80 years young.

    May there be many more Happy Birthdays to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Running marathons AND sliding down slippery slides at the age of 80. My gawd LL you are A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!

    Wishing you much love & happiness on your birthday. May you have many, many, many, many, more!

    Love Jen & Mango xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're so glad your day was a memorable one! May there be many more & I hope we'll be seeing you sometime soon. :-)

    TA & Gnome

    ReplyDelete