Friday, June 17, 2011

The Lost Week.....

Completely; lost to all training!  On Tuesday evening, I came down with the worst gastric attack in living memory!

I continued violent vomiting through Tuesday night, all day Wednesday, Wednesday night and most of Thursday by which time I knew I was in big trouble from dehydration; couldn't stand without feeling faint and had been sipping on water only for the past three days.

I knew it was time to do something about all this.  I rang my local GP to find out what I should do.  "Get an ambulance and get to the hospital for hydration on a drip:"   I argued that I couldn't do that with two little dogs left with no one to look after them.  This didn't go down too well and I was told the only alternative was to take a taxi to the medical centre and they would assess me from there, which they did, but  after an injection to stop the vomiting they rang an ambulance and off I went to Bowral Private Hospital and put on a drip for 24 hours.  I returned home feeling almost  a new woman on Friday afternoon.

What a difference a drip makes!  I was feeling about 90% by mid day today, Friday., My GP came in and gave me the OK to go home with a lecture about never letting dehydration get so bad over three or more days because the next stage is for the kidneys to shut down and then you're in big trouble!  Apparently I'd just about reached that stage.

Anyhow, I'll be resting up over this weekend and then hopefully be able to get back on the road next week.  I'll just have to write off the week's running and start back up when I feel 100%.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Norma,

    Oh dear please take care of yourself. Keep the fluids up.

    cheers MArtin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That's terrible. And you're always telling me to look after myself! Don't drink from that spider infested tap at the churchyard ever again!

    P.S. When I get back from US will have to bring Ruth up for a long run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will do, Plu!

    That would be goof, Ewen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strike LL! You tell those dogs of yours that they have to take a bit more care of you. 3 days? One day is too much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. TA & the Gnome, they do take care of me...they just get confused when I'm in bed all day!

    ReplyDelete