Sunday, September 02, 2012

Westies Joggers 5km ~~~~~

5km Course
I had a surprisingly good run today!  Surprising, because I've been training for the past 36 weeks and running half marathons only.  The last 5km I ran was Fishers Ghost in November last year when I thought I ran an amazing(ahem!) time of 33:33 and training has been based on that 5km time, on which  FIRST base all their programs ....our most recent 5km time.

Now that I'm about to begin the FIRST 5km program - with a view to trying that distance on the track in Canberra later this year, I will now have to upgrade myself!  Drum Roll!

6am start from Mittagong; time for a warm-up , a few drills and strides and at 7:50 we were off.  I ran fairly hard but nothing uncomfortable -  I just wanted to see what I could do without being over-zealous!  I didn't stop, as did others, at drink stations.  Why would anyone need to drink in such a short distance?  I suppose they have their reasons, but I never bother if it's under 20km.

I ran the 5km event in 31 minutes 18 secondsFirst place W70 & over!

I was thrilled!  Felt fine all the way, even on the couple of hills I barely slowed down.

Splits  :  6:13.9;     6:37.3;     6:11.3;     6:08.3;    5:53.3

Avg. Pace :  6:13m/k
"She beat me!"  I did, by about 7 minutes~  70+ category
....no hard feelings!

 Now I can begin the FIRST 5km program with renewed enthusiasm and learn how to become a good 5km runner!

For the week  :  30.6km

3 comments:

  1. That amazing time shows you're already a GOOD 5k runner, but after the FIRST plan you'll become a superlative one.

    BTW, didn't spot any spelling mistakes so the case of wine you won must still be intact ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only just got back to the computer. Congratulations, but I have to say it doesn't surprise me one iota. The training effect of long races trickles (gushes?) down to the shorter ones. It's amazing how many short PBs are set in the months after a good long race.

    p.s. congrats on the birthday too! :)

    ReplyDelete