Thursday, September 27, 2012

Workout #2 ~~~ Tempo Run

A very hot morning for a tempo run and so I invited VP along for the ride with the hope that he'd fade in the heat more quickly than I do, but what a silly thing to think!  Absolutely nothing puts him off the pace, whereas for me, being only human, I slow down on hills, get tired, feel hot, perspire and, ultimately, get left behind!


Tempo Run
1.5km warm-up
6.5km @ MT pace (for me 6:32m/k)
1.5km cool-down. 


Where VP and I fought for victory!


I drove to Renwick:

A few drills
1.5km warm-up easy

6.5km in 42:04
6:28;   6:30;   6:20;   6:32;   6:35;   6:28;   + 500m in 3:09
Avg. Pace 6:27m/k.....very close!

1.5km cool-down
Stretches to finish off a good run!

For a short time I was ahead of VP after we set off, but in no time at all he was ahead by about 15m.  Not much panic but there was a giant of  a hill ahead!  He got even further away as I puffed my way uphill and that blasted VP was 50m in front before I reached the top!

"Just you wait, 'enry ' 'iggins," I said.  "Just you wait till we're going downhill and then on the flat!"  Biding my time, running tall and with soft feet(!), I steadily lessened the distance between us and soon had a lead of a few metres, which grew longer and longer the further we ran until at about 4km I had a lead of nearly 50m.  Another couple of hills saw VP creeping back until I had just 15m lead!

It was time to show VP who was in charge!  Without letting good form, steady pace, relaxed position - and all the other things we're supposed to watch out for when training (!) - deteriorate, I stepped on the gas with 1.5km to go.....and so I thrashed and slashed VP to finish 68m in front!  Another glorious victory!

For Today - 9.5km

 

No comments:

Post a Comment