Saturday, September 22, 2012

Workout #3 ~~~ Long Run

If there is such a thing as a short 'long' run, this morning's 8km would have to be it!  Because of that distance, I had VP running with me.  I don't usually invite him on a long run because he wins most times, but for 8km I gave myself a good chance of beating him!

We both lined up at the Highlands School gate and, after giving each other 'the evil eye', we set off.  However, about 300m into our run VP took the lead and in no time was more than 50m ahead.  No panic, no angst...I knew I needed a couple of kilometres to get the legs going, but after that the race was on for one and all!

Where the race was lost!


By the time we reached the streets in Renwick - I was keeping to the flattest streets I could find! - I had a short lead of 1km.  As I passed him, I couldn't resist a smirk and a snide remark like, "See you at the finish, sucker!"

 From thereon VP didn't get a look in, not even when a few short hills had to be negotiated;  I kept the same rhythm going and flew ahead (?) along the roads, finishing 264m ahead of VP.  Yippee Ki Yay! What a glorious, triumphant moment that was!

Now to be practical :  The Program......8km @ LT pace (6:45m/k based on my 5k time)

8km in 52:14
6:54;  6:50;  6:24;  6:33;  6:16;  6:15;  6:31;  6:28
Avg. Pace 6:32m/k!

I began with a couple of the usual drills and finished, very pleased with myself, with a few stretches on the grass back at the school.

Total for the 3 key workouts this week  :  25.7km (excl. XTraining)
 

2 comments:

  1. Poor VP. He'll get an inferiority complex if you keep on thrashing him like that. By the way, you "had a short lead of 1km"? 1km is a bloody big lead ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I exaggerate to make VP feel worse! 300-500m would be more like it! Fortunately for him, he his immune to complexes of all kinds.

    ReplyDelete