Tuesday, September 11, 2012

First Key Workout....Track~~~

I used the soccer field again today, but was surprised that it felt harder running on the grass surface - meaning slower - than on the roads.  One side of the soccer field is quite spongy and uneven and I felt I needed to be careful not to do anything as stupid as twisting an ankle!   Easy to do if landing on uneven ground.

Program : 
10-20 min warm-up
5 x 800m in 4:46/5:57mk
400m RI
10 min cool-down.

I borrowed 4 witches' hats from the school to mark where I intended to run and placed them in each corner of the soccer field which meant I would run in a rectangular shape instead of a circular one as on a proper track.  Necessity is the mother of invention....true!  I had auto lap on the Garmin set at 800m and, as well as measuring 800m before starting, I knew to stop when I felt the lap vibration alert on my wrist.....Mmmm, very clever, Norma!

1km warm-up + 2 drills and strides
4:46/5:58mk;     4:45/5:57mk;     4:47/6:00mk;     4:39/5:48mk;     4:26/5:53mk
1km cool-down + stretches.

On Track for 800m

 Those times were OK....just wasn't as easy as on the bitumen roads I've been using till today, but with warmer weather already here, the soccer field and grass surface will be a cooler place to do shorter sessions.

For today....6km

2 comments:

  1. You are clever! Yep, I can vouch that it's much harder on a grass track than a road one... but kinder on the legs (and your face if you 'do a Norma').

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I 'do a Norma', its always on the rocks in DF Road....where I should wear full body armour as you have suggested!

    ReplyDelete