Sunday, July 22, 2012

Long Run Today..

I usually do my long run on a Saturday but this week I didn't.....today, Sunday, instead.  The weather threw in a bit of everything : grey sky, sunny sky, heavy mist, light rain and just a touch of cold wind.  It wasn't a really long run - this week was a little easier - but I still ran out of energy on the return 8km, took a couple of walk breaks on the uphills and walked practically all of the last 1km...uphill again!

  I felt terribly cold by the time I drove home - only a few minutes - but I was shivering and couldn't wait for the heating to come on, followed by a hot shower and then two bowls of hot beef and vegetable soup!  Warming up with the heater on, the hot shower and steaming hot soup......sheer luxury!

16km .....from school to end of  Diamond Fields Road, incl. Buckmans Lane & back.

   Next weekend 24km - I must have a good breakfast before this one! - and after that, just four weeks to the ACTVAC half marathon.

Today  :16km in 2 hours 6 minutes
5k splits....  38:28:   38:57;   39:54 ... + 1km in 9:19!

For the week  :  40km


4 comments:

  1. I know that version of 'sheer luxury' well. Yes, good advice from Bruce re a good breakfast - baked potatoes (carbs) and eggs on toast would be my choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely give it a try next long run. Is that for breakfast or the night before? Potatoes as well as eggs on toast or either one or the other? I might be too full to run at all! However, it might be what I need to give me the energy I seem to be lacking after half way in my long runs..usually, all training on an empty stomach.

    Also difficult to manage when staying at hotel/motel accommodation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Potatoes are the business - recently read about organisers serving up warm salted potatoes as food during ultras. Try it out as breakfast for a 'normal' run first, then a long run to see how you go.

      Delete
  3. OK, thanks; I'll give the potatoes a try before my tempo run on Thursday. I suppose two baked potatoes would be suffucient ..or too much? I don't want to feel like a sack of potatoes while running! lol!

    ReplyDelete