Monday, June 13, 2005

Sunday's Long Run

I was too tired after yesterday's long run to post about it! Unfortunately FlashDuck had to pull out due to a heavy cold. However, Ewen & Tim came...the poor darlings had a hard time slowing down to my pace; in fact, they walked up the winding hills section of the Pass to keep me in sight on a beautifully clear cool day. It's quite embarrassing being so slow & probably a very good reason to run by myself most other times, but for yesterday, it was wonderful to have their company.

I didn't take any of the usual planned walk breaks, stopping only at the 2 watering holes; took 2 gels, sports drink & chewed a few glucodin tablets; taste good & I think they give something of an energy boost; will use them again or snakes, jelly beans etc. Heart monitor said my avg. HR was 80+% so I must have been working hard; Ewen is going to work out the avg pace for the distance.

Lunch was at the Sturt Gallery cafe, except that by the time we got there, around 2:00pm, lunch had stopped being served and just about everything else we asked for was no longer available! We did manage to get some nice cake with icecream & huge mugs of coffee.

I was truly done in after the 34km; as Ewen said, I looked like an old man....excuse me, Ewen!
and that's how I felt for the rest of the day & night. Hit the bed around 4:00pm, couldn't sleep at all; soup & muffin (brought in by Jimbo) at 6:00pm & then slumped onto a very hot electric blanket at around 11:00pm....sheer bloody bliss feeling the heat get to my aching bones & muscles! Feel fine though today, just a little stiff in the legs.

That's the last long run before Gold Coast marathon & I'm pleased I had to put so much into it & again become familiar, at least for some of the time, with the pace of a race day. I'll look back on yesterday as a very special day because of the 2 cool runners I had to keep me company & see that I didn't take a wrong turn somewhere!

7 comments:

  1. It must have been great to have company LL after all that running you do on your own. You could not ask for 2 finer gentlemen to run with than Ewen and Tim. I'm sure they made you feel like royalty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done LL! I am sure the pleasure of spending the time with you ment more to Ewen and Tim than any concern about pace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to have missed it LL, next time! I would have slowed the boys down even further.

    My mother went to Frencham and was involved in the establishment of Sturt - very sorry to have missed it.

    Take your own advice and be careful in the lead-up to the Gold Coast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful report LL. It would have been a fantastic day being able to complete a long training run with company (never done that myself).

    And as to the spell you bestowed on me, you never said it was only a 24-hour spell! My hair is growing back, and my legs are again all lumpy and unspectacular (unlike your own). I'll have to race soon so you can lend me your lucky-legs-spell again

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a pleasure to run with a legend on Sunday... It was a run I will always remember! Tim and I (the poor darlings!) loved every moment.

    After the run you looked like I feel every morning Chickybabe but I bet you're feeling fresh as a mountain daisy today.

    The 24km we ran together was at 7:56/km but I'm sure you kicked home much quicker on that final downhill 3km.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done LL, its a great family isn't it? I hope the final weeks before GC go well and you have a great race on the flats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what is all this nonsense about a slow pace? That was as fast as I normally run!

    I would love to do it again but maybe we should eat at a different place :)

    ReplyDelete