Saturday, May 26, 2012

Long Run....Workout #3

Bloody hell, that was awful!  And that's all I can say till I recover!

From Diamond Fields Road looking up to Range Road at the top of the photo....how would it be up there today!


A chocolate Energize, a hot shower, two bowls of pea and ham soup, a short nap and now at 6:00pm a bowl of pasta with sauce -all in that order - and I'm beginning to feel some physical sensitivity return after a terrifying night with fierce winds thumping the windows and today's long run in the worst conditions I can recall.  Curiously, after such a freezing and windy run, I've had a thirst for cold water for the rest of the day; more than in the heat...I was surprised by this.

I thought the weather sounded less fierce by 10:30am until I was on the way to Diamond Fields Road where I expected there would be more shelter....there wasn't and it became almost a fight for survival! Apart from the hurricane, I was also concerned about branches - not raindrops! - falling on my head....the road was strewn with debris that had fallen during the night.

The Program :
15km 

I ran 15km on Diamond Fields Road
Time:   2hours 2 minutes
Avg. pace 8:10m/k
5km splits....40:39;    40:15;    41:36. 

Over some years I've come to know all the property owners on Diamond Fields Road.  There are only about five or six as most properties are over 100 acres for grazing cattle. I can call in to any of them if I want a drink of water, a cup of coffee - I've taken advantage of both - and even a lift home if I need it; so far I haven't had to do that, but the offer stands.......a comforting thought when running alone;  good people!

I was one weary kilometre from finishing when a familiar truck and driver going in the opposite direction, pulled up beside me.  My friend, the driver, rolled down the window and shouted, "What are you doing out in this weather? Go home and stay inside!"  Not much I could argue with about that advice but, as he was about to drive off, he summed it all up neatly by adding, "The older you're getting, the sillier you're getting!"

Now ain't that the truth, I thought!  Couldn't argue with it either;  but I did finish that last kilometre laughing to myself all the way back to the start!

For the week :  32km - counting only the three major workouts, not 3 days of cross-training.

 



3 comments:

  1. You've got me laughing too! I think that was the perfect example of either pig-headedness or determination - I haven't decided which. I would have ran into the first property and hitched a lift home!

    ReplyDelete