Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Cross-Training Today.....

I was so very tired last night after the morning's track session, I changed what I'd planned for today's cross-training.  I'd intended doing a set of Magill drills followed by about 15-20 minutes of easy running.  Instead, I did a brisk walk keeping in mind that tomorrow's tempo run would be hard work as it usually is and I don't want to be any more tired for that than I already am.  Walking is one of the suggested means of cross-training recommended by my program.  Magill will just have to wait another week!


Today's 8km walk.
I enjoyed walking on another gorgeous day here and may they long continue to stay like this!  I find that walking, as opposed to running, sets the mind free to roam where it will, like a balloon taken skywards by the breeze.  Running keeps my thoughts on running : breathing, form, relaxing, foot fall and a dozen other things including cars, the surroundings and scenery etc.

Walking this morning allowed my thoughts to go where they will and, at the same time, enjoy the scenery much more up close than when running.  One of these idle thoughts took me back to last night when I was feeling tired and, to be truthful, a little on the lonely side.  I was standing at the sink washing one saucepan, one plate, one knife, one fork and one spoon when I decided it was alright to let a few tears mingle with the soap suds.  It was short-lived, no gushing hysterics and didn't add much to the detergent in the sink, but cathartic nonetheless.

 However, when I turned to reach for the tea towel to dry the one saucepan, one plate, one knife, one fork and one spoon, right behind me sat Amy and Oscar looking very woe-begone and concerned....as if they really wanted to join in whatever they thought was going on.  How quickly they pickup on the mood of their mistress! Naturally, I had to jolly myself up, get out their packet of treats and reward them for their loyalty and understanding!

What all that has to do with cross-training I haven't the faintest idea!

8km walk today.

4 comments:

  1. You should do what I do - let the dishes pile up for a week! Then you've got a happy dinner party sink-full to wash and dry ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ewen, I can always count on your comments, when needed, for the best medicine there is ......a good laugh! Thanks again.

      Delete
  2. I have two doggies that have a direct line to my feelings. Thank goodness for them. More pictures of Amy and Oscar please.

    ReplyDelete