Saturday, May 05, 2012

Workout #3...Long Run

Long Run


I'm still using the same eighteen weeks' program that I used in the lead up to the Canberra Half Marathon last month.  So that I don't repeat it at the same level, I've made each of the three key workouts a little more difficult this time round by increasing the paces in Workouts #1 and #2, track and tempo runs and running longer for Workout #3, the long run.


I'm also making long runs more difficult by doing alternate weekends on Range Road where there's nothing but hills, hills and more hills!  This will be slower but the next weekend will be shorter and, hopefully, faster and in a flatter area.  That's the plan anyway and today I completed week two.  In this way, I hope to strengthen the legs and develop better endurance; these two areas, I believe, are where my main weaknesses lie!  There are others but too many to mention!!
Mittagong is somewhere in the valley between the trees and Mt Alexandra in the distance

Today was a Range Road run.  Long time since I ran there and I was shocked at how difficult I found it!  Kilometres two, three and four go straight uphill, getting steeper all the way up Old South Road and left into Range Road.  Once on Range Road there's a succession of rolling hills, one or two seriously terrifying, all the way out to Glenquarry! Splits for each 5km reflect the degree of difficulty I faced today!
From the top of Old South Road
On the way up Range Road
Downhill ahead!

Program : 15km which I increased to 18km!
18km
Time  2:17::11
Avg. Pace 8:11 m/k 
AHR  77%
Elevation Gain 381 metres.

5km splits:  45:01 (avg, 9:0m/k);  40:03 (avg. 8:01);  38:41 (avg. 7:44);  3km in 23:24 (avg. 7:48).

I finished this 18km dog-tired, foot-sore and way-weary!

Week Total =  41.8km

Forgot to mention : it's beauty unadorned on Range Road!



1 comment:

  1. Beautiful scenery and photos. Lovely time of the year before the cold sets in.

    ReplyDelete