Saturday, June 16, 2012

Workout #3...Long Run....Without mishap!

Range Road Long Run

Just imagine!   20km run without tripping over something....or someone!  The only fright was when dozens of motor bikes roared past and one of them backfired - if that's the right word - and I thought I'd been shot!  My hand straight away went to my heart....100% adrenal rush!   Other than that it was without mishap.  I liked the weather : very overcast, cold but not freezing, breezy without being windy and light rain for the last 5km.   I also enjoyed the fact that what was all uphill on the way out, became downhill on the return, so I suppose that more or less evens things out.  The first 5km was the hardest.

I wore my light, very bright yellow wind jacket to make sure I was quite visible to any drivers, but still had to move quickly onto the verge a few times.  There were only a few cars but they use Range Road like a speedway roller-coaster.  Best be aware and careful all the time.....an awful thought went through my head of a fall at the same time as a car sped around one of the many bends...fatal.....and perish the thought!

20km in 2:39:48
Avg. Pace 7:49m/k; Best Pace 5:45m/k
5km splits....45:17 (avg 9:03m/k); 38:15 (avg 7:39m/k); 39:38 (avg 7:56m/k); 36:34 (avg 7:19m/k)

Only 2 key workouts (30km) this week and two cross-training days with drills and some easy running.

1 comment:

  1. Yep, a poorly maintained motorcycle backfiring. Mine would never do that! Glad you survived the fright. Nice long run, and quick 5k the other day. Your mate Anne Young raced 57:57 for 8k today - I reckon you'd have left her in your dust! http://members.iinet.net.au/~aact/Results/Cross_Country/2012_Championships/

    ReplyDelete