Thursday, October 16, 2014

Treadmill Stress Test & Tempo ~~~~

I had a treadmill stress test on Tuesday at the Cardiac Unit of Bowral Hospital to see if there was any reason for increasing breathlessness while running.  Never had one before.  All wired up, started walking, told to slow down (!), no jogging (!!), speed and incline increased every 3 minutes, I asked if I could jog (reply yes!) and off I went.....easy!  Dr asked if I could keep going longer than their usual time...reply, sure!  Off I go again....easy!  Dr and nurse ask can I keep going if they increase speed dramatically and put in a steep hill...reply, sure!  And off I go again!  By this time, Dr and nurse ready to collapse with surprise while I just kept on running until they stopped the treadmill when heart rate got to 142bpm.  I could have kept going but was starting to puff!

The nurses and Dr couldn't hide their surprise and told me I was 'disgustingly fit', and going by the looks of the people who were there before me -  I was last on the list  -  I can understand why they were so surprised!  I was pleased to get an updated MHR of 142bpm as I'd been using 132.  It probably is higher than 142 but that's where the test stopped so that's what I'll use for training in future.  On Friday, I have a lung capacity test just to make sure there's no problems in that area.  Have already had blood tests (no results yet) and chest x-ray (no results yet).

I didn't like the Dr much when, commenting on my breathlessness while running, he added, "Well, you're not getting any younger, you know."  To which I replied, "Really?  I hadn't noticed!"  And after that, our feelings for each I'm sure were mutual!


5km

Now for today's run:  Tempo Run
1.5km warm-up
5km @ 7:11m/k
1.5km cool-down.

 5km in 36:23....improving!
Avg. pace 7:16m/k

Weather back to normal after wind and rain for past two days.  Today : sunny, cool and breezy.

Total today  :  8km

No comments:

Post a Comment