Monday, December 03, 2007

Central Coast Half Marathon

The plan was to finish somewhere between 2:30 & 2:45. I finished in 2:36.....OK time, when running distances at the moment are 10 - 12km & high humidity on the day.

I drove to Sydney on Saturday afternoon, stayed the night with friends & was picked up by Superflake at 4:40 Sunday morning for the drive to The Entrance.

In any field of runners I'm bound to be at the very tail end, but in such a small field I was most definitely at the very tail end! The 'sweeper' (I didn't know there was one for this race) thought he was running with the last runner, until someone got a message to him that there was someone else behind him! And so, I had Steve, the sweeper, run with me for the last 4kms until we came to Eagle & Gnome waiting to join in with about 2km to go. At about 50m to the finish line, a number of Cool Runners had gathered & gave me the cheer I needed to 'kick up my heels' & finish.

A very scenic course following the water, shady in most parts, mostly flat & an event I hope to be back for next year. Volunteers were wonderful & were still there at every water station until I finished....doesn't always happen this way! I thank them sincerely for their time & care.

The only hiccup on the drive back to Sydney was having to ask Superflake to pull over from the middle of a freeway because I was car sick & about to throw up all over the interior of his lovely car! Rather than have this happen, he found a spot to stop & after a couple of breaths of 'fresh' air, we were on our way again without further mishap! I'd forgotten my cap & might have had a 'touch of the sun' after the run.

I stayed an extra night in Sydney rather than drive back to Mittagong feeling tired & a bit"off". Home today, Monday.

Half Marathon Time = 2 hours 36 minutes with AHR of 127 (85%).
1hr:17 to the turn around; 1hr:19 return.

Week Total = 60km





5 comments:

  1. Another successful run by the Grand Dame of Cool Running. Congratulations Chickybabe. I am glad you kept your stomach in tact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd call that an even split.

    Well done on another achievement.

    Canberra Marathon next year should still be in your plans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're fast Grasshopper.

    Not bad seeing you've had no long runs since Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't know me LL, I'm a coolrunning newbie, but I exchanged greetings with you during the race (not long before half-way) and you looked pretty cool at that stage.

    Great run (very modestly reported).

    ReplyDelete