Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mothers' Day Classic....Canberra ~~~

I drove to Canberra this morning to run the MDC 5km Run.  Leaving Mittagong at 6:00am, I drove almost the entire 2 hours in heavy fog and darkness!  The Lake was completely hidden on arrival and didn't show itself until well after the sun broke through.  From thereon it was a brilliant day with over 7,000 runners and walkers taking part in the various events and hundreds more cheering spectators.

5k Around the Lake


I met Ewen before the run and Ruth and Margaret after.  I could hear these two shouting my name and cheering as I approached the finish!  A brief chat and they were off to Mothers' Day at home, while Ewen and I headed to the War Memorial cafe for brunch.....scrambled eggs, toast and bacon, plus two mugs of coffee for me.  The second coffee was 'on the house' because my meal took a while to be served. That's what I call service!  We sat and talked till around 1:00pm before I set off for the drive back to Mittagong.  A most pleasant day!

The Run:  1 lap around the Basin crossing 2 bridges.
About 2km warm-up + strides
5km in 33:43...official time.

 I forgot to bring my Garmin!!  A hundred curses!!!  I didn't even have a watch, so I had no idea of how I was running.  I had set VP to run 6:36/k to finish in 33 minutes and I ran 33:45 without his or any other help!  I think that's the first time I've run with nothing other than my own two legs!  I was quite satisfied with that time, which was 3 minutes faster than Ginninderra Park Run a couple of months back and with only 1 full week of training after several weeks off.

The MDC is a wonderful event.... lots of fun, music and fancy costume on what turned out to be a fabulous day!

For today.....7km    


2 comments:

  1. Brilliant effort to finish the race and run so well using nothing but your own two legs. I couldn't have done that. I think young Annie was impressed - as well as all those young'uns you thrashed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic run LL. Sorry I had to dash off for a MD brunch but very glad I didn't miss your great finish. Lovely to see you running so strongly again. Sounds like you had a lovely day. xx

    ReplyDelete