Sunday, May 08, 2005

Long Run....sort of!

Total of 18km this beautiful Autumn morning; back on the hills of Range Road to remind myself of the hills in the SMH half in 2 weeks time.

I tried another of the ideas in the article that Bellthorpe put up in the "Running Technique" thread, except that I forgot what it was for & why I was doing it!! Looked it up later & it's to "Develop propulsion from the core & hips".....here it is:
"A great drill to practice to get the feeling of this is to interlock your fingers together (hand to hand) and run with your hands on top of your head. Though it may seem a little odd at first, doing this removes the arms from the running motion forcing you to create forward propulsion from the hips. Inserting 20-30 sec of “hands on head” running every 10 minutes or so in your daily runs should keep reminding you of the proper feeling you should have when you are running normally (hands/arms at your side)."

Needless to say I waited until I was way out of town on remote country roads before trying the above. Anyhow, I don't know what it accomplished, if anything, not knowing why I was doing it in the first place; secondly, I felt like a penguin & must have looked like a loony!

Anyhow, it was a good run & still incorporating some 1 min. walk breaks in the first half.

Only 42km for this week & 2 spin classes.

1 comment:

  1. yeah I tried the hands behind your head as well and just felt silly.

    ReplyDelete