Wednesday, August 31, 2005

3km Time Trial PB!!!



There was a gale blowing this morning....and some rain!

I did the usual 20 minute warm-up in light rain & strong winds; stretched & psyched myself up to let go!!

A good 'tail-gale' gave me a flying start to the finish........15:10! (3 weeks ago 18:22)

The last km was, as usual, well- nigh impossible to get to the end of...always the case when you've taken what seems like your last breath & legs, even lucky ones, say they've had enough! Walked 3km back to the car...headwind all the way. This is a really tough session for me & the last km hurts like hell, but when it's over & I see some improvement, I forget all about the pain!

Now I can't wait for my report card to arrive!

Edit (late at night) : I received a very good report card from Ewen who also gave me some excellent advice & warnings (re Blackmore's half marathon) that others will find helpful, so I'll include 2 of them here - (1) Running a fast half takes a lot of effort & racing hard often detracts from enjoying the event; (2) ..it (the half) will be a success if you feel good during the race even if you don't run under 2hours 30.

Those words (gems each one of them) will be deeply implanted in my mind & will be my guide on race day, especially during those inevitable stretches when Chickybabe is running alone!

8 comments:

  1. Woohoo!! Congratulations on a sensational PB Chickybabe. At this rate you will soon be running out of sight in the bright light of day!!

    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I'm definitely seeing an A+ on that report card LL. I like the idea of a tail-gale. Maybe I need a huge fan behind my treadmill?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, 3 minutes off over a fairly short period of time, thats excellent. Hopefully you will see the benefits of a little speed work and the improvements in your endurance!

    Excellent stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just incredible LL!!! Big congrats. What's your secret?

    Gee, looking very very good for the half now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LL, 3k in 15:10 is awesome. I know a few people somewhat younger than your fine self who'd kill to be able to do that! Speed work's fun, isn't it :-)

    sfG

    ReplyDelete
  6. way to go LL...bet you can't wait for the half now?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good advice from the venerable Wombat, and remember how you felt after City to Surf! Thanks for the lovely comments on my blog and by the way, I have memory lapses all the time!!! Ankle is fine, body not so fine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will echo CJ's words. If you are feeling good, the pace will take care of itself. As for your time trial, you better watch out as I believe ASDA are on your case. I can see a sub 2:30 at the Sydney Half coming your way.

    ReplyDelete