Sunday, March 01, 2009

Trying Something Different..

Different, as in taking some food to have on a long Sunday run instead of gels.....only moderately successful.


At 6:a.m I started carrying in my CR tritop pockets : 2 small packets of savory biscuits; 2 sandwiches; 1 banana; small pkt of chips & 2 gels for emergency purposes. I was also carrying 4 Fuel bottels for water & sports drink. It was all too much weight to carry especially the 4 bottles in the Fuel Belt.


I ate something every 30 minutes after the first hour : firstly the banana, then 1 pkt biscuits (25g); 1 sandwich & another sandwich a half hour later. I couldn't handle eating on the run comfortably...just not used to it & I think I ate too much...1 sandwich would have been sufficient, so at 27km my stomach suddenly decided to rid itself of all that I'd eaten!

This is the first year I've had such problems on a long run. I always handled gels & sports drink throughout training & the marathon. This year, they don't 'agree' with me!

I'm hearing some news on the Rogane GU Gels so I might find where I can get them online & give them a try. They do seem rather expensive .... but if they work, money well spent I suppose.

Program : 30km

Results : I did loops of 2(2 x 6km) + (2 x 3km)
Time = 4 hours 24 minutes!
5km laps = 43:18; 44:27; 43:53; 41:00; 45:49; 45:4
AHR = 70%; MHR = 81%

Another long run accomplished with great difficulty!

4 comments:

  1. If you're going to carry that much food, you may need a wheelbarrow.

    What's with "wieght"? I thought you were an English teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was! I must have been struck by 'lightening'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't you have a big breakfast prior to a run in Canberra, not long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi LL,

    I am struggling with using Gels and drinks again too since coming back to running after Bub. They just don't agree with me and either I throw them up or they make me go to the toilet.

    I am trialling watching what I eat the day before a long run - limiting fibre, lots of water, no dairy etc. This has been somewhat successful and enabled me to stomach the gu's and powerade during the actual run. I am still testing what I can eat in the morning before the run to see how that affects me as well. I'll let you know how I go in Canberra :)))

    ReplyDelete