Sunday, November 01, 2009

Around the Roundabout..

Top photo : last climb before turning back.

Middle photo : I would have loved a swim with this duck family, but take a look at the colour of the dam water!

Last photo : the infamous roundabout.



Long, tough haul this morning! So much so, that anything Fisher's Ghost run next Sunday might throw at me will seem easy; well, that's what I'm hoping!

Knowing Fisher's Ghost runs are notorious for their hills, I decided to put myself to the test by taking a right turn

- usually I go left downhill - from Bong Bong Road into Old South Road where I was faced with 2km of winding uphill road. It really is a shocker & a test of anyone's health and sanity!



The road then levels out for a few hundred metres to the biggest roundabout in the world, I think! For those driving past as I staggered & panted my way up for 2km, I thought it would impress on them just how insane a runner can become by running around the roundabout on the cement strip before going left up more hills into Range Road! I ran around the roundabout on the return leg as well!

After reaching 8kms, all the while telling myself how wonderful it would feel to roll back downhill for the last few kilometres, I turned around and began the run back. I'd also decided before starting, that I would run the last 5km faster no matter how 'dead' I was feeling....and I was feeling half dead when the Garmin said I'd run 11km and was now time to step on the gas...or what was left of it! Talk about downhill racing! I fairly flew just about the entire return.

I hadn't carried water : silly, and it was a hot morning, but back at the car I downed 500ml as if I'd been wandering a desert all morning! I did crawl with some effort under a fence on the way back where there was a tap & drank from that knowing it was probably bore water, but who cares when you're dying of thirst anyway!

Today: 16km
Time 2:09:40
AHR 111 (70%); MHR 131(82%)

Out in 1:11:19
Back 58:21

Negative Split 12:58.....pleased with that one! Thanks to the downhills, of course!

This Week : 51km

1 comment:

  1. You've had a visit from Flashduck. Those roundabouts are just like ours - glad you didn't get lost!

    ReplyDelete